5 Post Link Restriction.

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what everyone else thought about it.

I have mixed feelings. It may discourage Ad Spam, but it seems to have generated a lot of new member "post to get the numbers up" useless posts.

At first I thought it might be a good thing, because it would force new people to browse the forums a bit, and acquaint themselves with the place. Instead we see a lot of very old threads being resurrected with inane posts, for the sake of posting.

I also want to thank the Mods for finally getting rid of the DealStudio spammer.
Spam is one thing, but spamming and asking questions, wastes a lot of peoples time on responses that don't matter. That energy should be spent on people actually wanting help.

So, do you feel the 5 post restriction is good, bad, or indifferent?

Easy to ignore and report spam, but when you have a thread that keeps going to the top just for post count it takes away from valid threads that deserve attention more.

It's almost worse than spam.

Overall, I think that it's probably a good idea for the forum. Makes it a little more difficult to spam, but it does make it a littler harder for new members to get their foot in the door. I know when I joined originally, I was more than eager to share my work--I can see where this might be a little frustrating for new members. Even though it may be a little frustrating for some, I think it's definitely a good change.

I think that it does go a long way to helping prevent spammers getting the clicks they want from the site. Especially as TPF tends to be attracting a generally smarter breed of spammer who tends to use semi-relevant posts/threads to try and trick people instead of the more low grade which just spam a page of links to stuff.

The bumping of really hold posts to post without reason I think isn't connected to the above however. Anyone going through the archives and posting on month/year old threads isn't doing it for post count and chances are even without the link post restriction those people would be doing that anyway.

I'm not really sure. I can see benefits of it, and down sides. More bad than good though.

Off topic posts don't count, and it's been that way for a while. I've recently noticed that posts in the Introduction area don't count towards post count either. That's kinda messed up to me.

You're going to impose a limit on when you can post links/pictures, but when someone introduces themselves to the forum that doesn't even count?

edit
A new member could easily get the required 5 posts in their own introduction thread, but those posts don't count...

I think introduction posts don't count because some people would just lurk in the intro section copy/pasting "Hi welcome to the site" into every welcome thread without any content.

Also any sane person posting here can find many good areas to leave 5 posts - maybe we need to move the galleries up the forum page so that they get more notice? It would take a matter of moments to leave 5 comments in the galleries without much effort.

Most reactions

Back