5 random for C&C - Newbie

Simonie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

This is my first time posting even though I am surfing the forum for a couple of months now. Below are 5 random pictures, the best one I think I have so far. They have minimal photoshopping done.

I know the composition may be lacking but I am looking for constructive critisism about focus, aperture, exposure and iso. I need to know what I did good and what I can improve.

I have a Canon Rebel T1i with the basic lens Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I need to get a better one but that's another topic! I mostly shoot in Tv mode without flash.

I hope you like it!

1. My dog Conan. I was looking to get his whole body and sleepy mood but it is somewhat on the green side. Lightning was minimal.
1/13, 4.5, iso400
4444718618_b1b5d9a07c_b.jpg

2. Again, it's conan. I wanted to get a more noble look of my dog but I am sad to see that I cropped his right ear.
1/200, 3.5, iso250
4443945787_ec66cdf160_b.jpg

3. This is my brother's girlfriend. I love this picture, I think there is an old feel to it. Minimal photoshop was done to remove a little bit of yellow. Is her right side too dark or that's ok? The lightning was minimal.
1/10, 5.0, iso400
4443939659_09f5a27c3a_b.jpg

4. This is an italian "brioche" my aunt made from Christmas. I lowered the contrast because it was too harsh. I tried to get a macro feel to it. Lightning was minimal.
1/60, 5.6, iso400
4443941955_7afa64afd7_b.jpg

5. This is a Christmas decoration that was on a gift. I tried to get the background as blurry as possible to capture the lights behind while focusing on a small part of the decoration. Lightning was minimal.
1/60, 4.5, iso400
4444714700_4b81f43f7b_b.jpg

#1: Awwww. I love photos of dogs. They are so photogenic
#2: I wonder what he's looking at. Maybe try and shoot in the direction he's looking?
#4: Yummeh!

Thanks for the comments.

#2 He wasn't looking at anything special, there is only my hedge there. Probably a leaves that moved and though it was a cat or a squirrel!

Anyone has critics about the technical aspect of my photos? Either good or bad, I want to know where I stand and what to improve!

I'll comment on shot 3 your brothers girlfriend
1 The background is very distracting
2 underexposed
3 Out of focus probably due to camera shake (shutter speed too slow)

I'll comment on shot 3 your brothers girlfriend
1 The background is very distracting
2 underexposed
3 Out of focus probably due to camera shake (shutter speed too slow)

You are right. I could have brought up the iso to 400 or 800 so the shutter speed could be faster, but I was afraid of getting too much noise. Because of that, I missed the focus.

#1 is cute but the picture reminds me of a alcoholics anonymous, or Prozac commercial. He looks so depressed like he peed on the rug and is in trouble.

#2 could use some saturation its kind of bland, and yeah the right ear being chopped off isn't good.

#3 I like it, the right side like you said is definitely too dark, the back ground is distracting but to be honest what I'm really drawn to but not in a good way is her teeth. I would suggest accenting her better features and trying to hide that one.

#4 It does look yummy, it doesn't really interest me though. Did you use a flash? it kind of looks like the lighting may have been to strong and created a glare.

#5 Just doesn't interest me at all. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking at exactly.

#1 is cute but the picture reminds me of a alcoholics anonymous, or Prozac commercial. He looks so depressed like he peed on the rug and is in trouble.

#2 could use some saturation its kind of bland, and yeah the right ear being chopped off isn't good.

#3 I like it, the right side like you said is definitely too dark, the back ground is distracting but to be honest what I'm really drawn to but not in a good way is her teeth. I would suggest accenting her better features and trying to hide that one.

#4 It does look yummy, it doesn't really interest me though. Did you use a flash? it kind of looks like the lighting may have been to strong and created a glare.

#5 Just doesn't interest me at all. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking at exactly.

Thanks for your comments!

#1 He always looks like this, sleeping all the time! But I get what you are saying.

#2 I desaturated that picture because I thought the colors were too bright, maybe that was a mistake.

#3 The best feature about her is her teeth! I know it may sounds weird but a few years ago, she wouldn't even smile because she was ashamed of her teeth. Now she has learned to live with it and she doesn't even want to fix it anymore. That's why I like it so much. I should have explained it at first.

#4 The flash was on, the light was too low. My mistake

#5 There was a topic here around Christmas where we needed to show our Christmas Bokeh. I looked at the pictures and likes it very much. I tried to do one myself. Here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...14-post-your-christmas-bokeh-lights-pics.html

1. I think the couch takes up too much of the picture. Composition-wise, the photo is nothing special, but it does have one thing going for it: the dog's paw acts as a leading line and drew my eye into the photograph.

2. Classic example of a composition mistake -- the tree in the background seems to be "growing" out of your dog's head. Ask yourself what the most important part of the picture is and simplify everything else. Find a different angle so there aren't things in the background competing for attention.

Remember to bracket. That's the nice thing about digital, you can delete the ones that don't turn out.

Remember to bracket. That's the nice thing about digital, you can delete the ones that don't turn out.

By bracket you mean the feature Auto Exposure Bracketing? If so, I will need to try that. I saw that in my book.

When I press the shutter button, does it takes time in between for the pictures to be taken or it's in one shot?

By bracket you mean the feature Auto Exposure Bracketing? If so, I will need to try that. I saw that in my book.

When I press the shutter button, does it takes time in between for the pictures to be taken or it's in one shot?

It takes shots in sequence, separate shots. Will vary depending on your camera's speed.

It takes shots in sequence, separate shots. Will vary depending on your camera's speed.

Thank you! I will experience with it tonight.

Most reactions

Back