50 mm vs 85 mm

The 50mm is so cheap because it's construction is not too stellar. It also doesn't have a lot of glass in it. The more glass a lens has, the more expensive it usually is.

I personally dislike the 85mm "look" on a 1.5/1.6 crop sensor. It just seems awkward, even though it's almost comparable in focal length to a 135mm with that sensor.

However, on a 1.3 crop it seems just fine.

Derrel said:
Nikon has just released a new 85mm f/1.8 G-series lens with a built-in focusing motor. I'd rather have an 85mm f/1.8 lens than a 50mm f/1.8 lens if I had only a handful of lenses. The new 85/1.8 G has really,really good imaging performance. And since it is an AF-S lens, it will autofocus on both the entry-level and the higher-end Nikon bodies.

Funny you should say that. I've been going back and forth between the 50 1.8g and the 85 1.8g. I know the nifty 50 is a classic but I have that range covered by the 35-70. With that being said I would prob vote on the 85 1.8 and if you have enough $$ left over maybe get the 50 1.8d as well. It's only $100.

TheFantasticG said:
Just make sure the one you order has 9 rounded aperture blades. They always make better bokeh.

Not if u only shoot wide open, aperture blades are completely retracted when at your widest aperture and have no effect on photos.

I'd go with the 50 as well. I'm trying to get my hands on a Canon 50mm 1.4 but the idiots at BestBuy haven't stocked it in over a year. From what I hear a 50mm is the way to go. With a low f stop you can take better pictures at night and it helps get a nice depth of field.

I'm trying to get my hands on a Canon 50mm 1.4 but the idiots at BestBuy haven't stocked it in over a year.
You do know that there are other businesses that stock photographic equipment besides Best Buy, right?

Christ on a bike....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back