Advice on upgrade from D3200

joshua_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I may upgrade from my Nikon D3200. I bought it in November 2012. It's my first 'nice camera'. I really enjoy it.

For my D3200, the lenses I have that I use most are:

Nikkor 35mm 1.8

Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Nikkor 85mm 1.8

Nikkor 55-300mm 4.5/5.6

I use the 50 and the 85 the most, of those four.

I'm looking at the Nikkon Z7 II.

I do a little video, but not much, and I'm mostly concerned with great images.

I'll keep the D3200 but won't use it as often. I think my kids will make decent use of it, but it'll be available if I need it.

Mainly, I'd like to be able to get great photos at indoor events.

Does the Nikkon Z7 II seem like a good choice as an upgrade, especially for great images from indoor events?

What lens would you start with?

I'd like a great 70-200mm 2.8, what would you recommend?

Are any of my other listed lenses worth using on the Z7 II?

Would you suggest something different entirely?

Thanks

Last edited:
Questions like yours are very difficult to answer. To let you know where I am coming from, I am a firm believer that 75% of making great images is knowledge and experience of the art and science of photography and a little planning and luck, 15% post processing skills, and 10% equipment as long as it meets minimum quality requirements and your D3200 and the new smartphone cameras do. If you are fairly good at the art and science of photography and PP skills, then yes, the Z7ii is an excellent camera and a big step up from your D3200. If not, you might want to spend your money on a used dslr like the D810 for about $1k (KEH.com) or even a used D850 if you can find one, and take some online photography classes from somewhere like TheSchoolOfPhotography.com

The Z7ii is a professional level camera and will give you ibis, 45.7mp, an electronic view finder (EVF), and a very much upgraded auto focus system with animal and human eye tracking, focus stacking, focus peaking, and 4k 60fps video. There will be a learning curve. You may need to upgrade your computer to handle the larger images. My guess is your 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm are FX and and you can use them on the Z7 ii with an FTZ ii adapter if they are AF-S lenses. The 500-300mm f/4.5-6.5 VR G is DX (I have one) and you can use it on the Z7 ii in DX mode, but will probably not want to. I have the Nikon Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S and it is a stellar lens. I use it for outdoor portraits (85mm f/1.8 for indoor portraits), and sports like the grand kids' soccer games. It is the lens I usually leave on my Z9. Other glass I would recommend are the 24mm f/1.8 S for landscapes and indoor stuff and the 105mm f/2.8 S macro. After that, I would finish the trinity with a 24-70mm f/2.8 S and 14-24mm f/2.8 S, although if you hike in for landscapes, the 14-30mm f/4 S version is a lot more compact and is lighter. I shoot a lot of nature and wildlife, especially birds, and for right now I'm using my f-mount super telephotos until the Nikon 200-600mm f/? is announced.

Good luck with your choices.

Last edited:
Frankly, I'd do some recession-proofing and look for a D7200 or another late-model crop sensor body, especially given your current lens line-up. Considerable IQ boost. Far less shock-of-the-new. Wear it out before you abandon the F-mount. YMMV, as always.

I may upgrade from my Nikon D3200. I bought it in November 2012. It's my first 'nice camera'. I really enjoy it.
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
Nikkor 85mm 1.8
Nikkor 55-300mm 4.5/5.6
I'll keep the D3200 but won't use it as often. I think my kids will make decent use of it, but it'll be available if I need it.
Does the Nikkon Z7 II seem like a good choice as an upgrade, especially for great images from indoor events?

Would you suggest something different entirely? Thanks
The best any of us can do is tell you of our experience and what we've heard. You're the one who will be using it - you would be wise to rent a Z7 II for a few days and test it thoroughly to be sure it suits your needs. The user's manual lists the compatible Nikkors and says how they function. Don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions. Nikon makes fine products, good luck!

Hello all,

Nikkor 35mm 1.8

Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Nikkor 85mm 1.8

Nikkor 55-300mm 4.5/5.6

Would you suggest something different entirely?

Thanks

You NEED to be very specific about what you mean by "indoor events."
- what are you shooting, how far are you from the subject, what is the light level, etc.
- If you are currently shooting that "indoor event" what lens and exposure are you using.
Read the specs. The Z7ii is a high rez camera, not a LOW light camera. For LOW light, I would choose the Z6ii.

As a starter lens, I do not consider the 70-200/2.8 a starter/general purpose lens.
Again, read the specs for size and weight. It is rather BIG and HEAVY.
If you are in LOW light, the difference between a f/1.8 prime and f/2.8 zoom can be significant.
- I use the 35/1.8 rather than a f/2.8 zoom when I shoot basketball.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back