£500 budget

BritneyDean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello.

I would like to ask your opinion please...

I'm new to photography and am ready to buy something better than my fujifilm 'dlsr style' bridge camera...

I have a budget of £500 to spend on a DSLR camera.
What would you recommend? I would like to buy brand new with 18mm-55mm lens if poss.

AND then also, please keep in mind, that soon, I would like to purchase a decent wide angle lens and a fish-eye. TOTAL spend of camera+ lens and the extra 2 lenses, around £800.

Is this possible? What gear would you recommend for me please?

Would just to note, I will mainly be taking Portrait and Landscape pictures.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any time you spend replying :)

Nikon D3100. Great hardware, good optics and there are a zillion older manual lenses on ebay that will fit for the fisheye and, say, a 35mm for later.

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR with 18-55mm VR Lens (VBA280K001) - Wex Photographic

Thank you for your reply!
Do you know much about the Nikon D3200 too? Only because, someone elseware pointed it out to me this week and I know it's more expensive than the D3100 but the D3200 is still in my price range.
Would you say it'd be worth paying the extra for the D3200?
I'm going to have a look and compare the two myself the best I can. But any input from you would be really greatfull received.

Thank you :)

I strongly suggest against buying a fisheye until you have more experience with other more conventional lenses.

Unless you can find one for like $50-100, in which case, whatever, go for it. (Usually they're much more expensive than that though, and people tend to use them 10 times and then they gather dust)

If you can get the D3200 with the 18-55mm zoom, then I support that idea. Then your wide angle prime can be the 35mm http://Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX, which is an excellent prime at that focal length. Instead of an additional lens at that point, I will suggest a speedlight for your next purchase. Not sure how the budget works out, but that is what I will suggest.

As a side note; a beginner's kit will often include a cheap tripod, a small camera bag, and a few smaller items, so look for that kind of deal.

A nice intermediate step between the bridge camera and a dSLR worth considering is the mirrorless camera, i.e. micro 4/3. Worth a look.

Hi Britney - you can get the brand new Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm lens for £549 - and get £50 back with the Nikon spring cashback offer and stay within budget.

Here is why the D5200 may be a better option than the D3200:

- articulated screen for low/high angles and self-portraits

- faster, more accurate autofocus on moving subjects with 39 AF points instead of 11

- Custom Setting Menu tab that D3200 lacks - easier to use, in my view

- higher cashback amount :)

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Britney - you can get the brand new Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm lens for £549 - and get £50 back with the Nikon spring cashback offer and stay within budget.

- faster, more accurate autofocus on moving subjects with 39 AF points instead of 11

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

+1

Absolutly if you can get the D5200 then get it over the D3200 and obviously over the D3100 which while is a nice camera is already old and limited in its low light performance.

Thanks everyone for your input
ive seen that the oesnt end until the end of the month, so i'm going to go to the camera shop in town on saturday and have a chat with them about the D5200 and will possibly be picking it up then :)

Thank you all again, and please if anyone has anything to add, please do :)

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Hello.
That ebay link you sent, those cameras he's selling are not eligible for the cashback offer.
I can't seem to find the D5200 for less than £650?

Either way, do you think that it's worth me spending the £549 for the D5200? I know it's a little above what I budgeted for, but if it's worth it.. i'll spend the extra

I took the plunge yesterday, and bought a Nikon D5200! £649 +£50 cashback.
So far... happy with my purchase. Thanks everyone for your input :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back