50d & 430ex off-camera

score04w

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I been reading a couple sites and im getting a little confused. I recently purchased a speedlite 430ex II to pair with my 50d. The main reason why i bought it was so i could use it off camera. Without completely breaking the bank, how can i get the flash off-camera. To i buy a cheap hot shoe, and a pc cord?

CAD1026.jpg

mpex.com

Im trying to build my gear up, and would love your input. Thanks in advance.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna go with the ebay set. If it doesn't work its only 35, not a big loss.

I've got the exact setup you're looking for.

I purchased a set of ebay triggers for about $40CAD and they work perfectly. Haven't had a misfire with the set I've order. I ordered the CTR-301P set. Their great. There's a few videos on youtube about them also. Definately what I'd recommend.

But if you buy the canon trigger, you can keep adding flashes as you get more money, and not need more recievers ( as long as they are the compatible model speedlites ) It can control an unlimited number of speedlites. I have cheap triggers too and the trigger on the camera isnt bad, but the recievers on the flashes get annoying especially on stands. Just my advice. I plan on getting the 7D soon and I am going to be selling my 2 sunpaks with triggers to buy a 430ex...let me know if you want to trade. haha.

I'm in the same boat though next week I will be picking up my new 580EX II to get out. The 50D should of had a commander why Canon waited so long is beyond me. My old D90 had it. But oh well. I'll grab a couple more flashes in a few months probably around the start of the year with some pocket wizards and it will be a thing of the past.

I'm in the same boat though next week I will be picking up my new 580EX II to get out. The 50D should of had a commander why Canon waited so long is beyond me. My old D90 had it. But oh well. I'll grab a couple more flashes in a few months probably around the start of the year with some pocket wizards and it will be a thing of the past.

It's really unfortunate for the 50D. But I remember I was so excited when I read that the 7D had wireless flash control. After I got it, that was the first thing I wanted to check out. Sadly, even the 7D can only trigger other flashes optically by firing its built in flash. It works.... as long as the flash is in visual line of sight of my camera.... So even then, there's really no way around getting triggers. I'm not sure how different Nikon models handle wireless flash, but Canon definately leaves much to be desired there.

As a side note, I have a set of those ebay triggers in the mail now.

It's really unfortunate for the 50D. But I remember I was so excited when I read that the 7D had wireless flash control. After I got it, that was the first thing I wanted to check out. Sadly, even the 7D can only trigger other flashes optically by firing its built in flash. It works.... as long as the flash is in visual line of sight of my camera.... So even then, there's really no way around getting triggers. I'm not sure how different Nikon models handle wireless flash, but Canon definately leaves much to be desired there.

thats not true. Dont crush the product because you didn' t spend enough time with the manual.:lmao: There is a menu choice to stop the popup from firing. It still has to be in the up position though.

thats not true. Dont crush the product because you didn' t spend enough time with the manual.:lmao: There is a menu choice to stop the popup from firing. It still has to be in the up position though.
I know. There's a way to trigger it without the flash interrupting the shot (it fires early, before the shutter), but there's not a way to trigger it without using the pop up flash. Meaning visual line of sight has to be there.

I know. There's a way to trigger it without the flash interrupting the shot (it fires early, before the shutter), but there's not a way to trigger it without using the pop up flash. Meaning visual line of sight has to be there.

It uses IR which needs line of sight...but IR can bounce off walls as well. I have many, many times successfully fired my flash using the IR (CLS for Nikon's ) by bouncing it off walls and such....kind of like how I can make my remote control for my TV work by bouncing it off the back wall instead of directly at my receiver. I do agree that that the IR is a big limitation and which that new cameras would come out with a RF to fire it....even if they have to sell a $100 add on for the flash to accept the RF signal, that would be a huge plus.

I know. There's a way to trigger it without the flash interrupting the shot (it fires early, before the shutter), but there's not a way to trigger it without using the pop up flash. Meaning visual line of sight has to be there.[/QUOTE

ah, ok. What i read did not mention that. Glad i read this before getting mine or I would have been pissed :lmao:

But if you buy the canon trigger, you can keep adding flashes as you get more money, and not need more recievers ( as long as they are the compatible model speedlites ) It can control an unlimited number of speedlites. I have cheap triggers too and the trigger on the camera isnt bad, but the recievers on the flashes get annoying especially on stands. Just my advice. I plan on getting the 7D soon and I am going to be selling my 2 sunpaks with triggers to buy a 430ex...let me know if you want to trade. haha.

There's problems with this though. Canon's transmitter only controls other Canon flashes. If you're using flashes off camera, generally most people don't use TTL. Also, you can't use Canon's trigger with studio strobes.

And if you look at the prices, you can get a good manual speedlight for $85-120. The price is much cheaper than purchasing nothing but Canon speed lights.

This is how Nikon's system works as well. That's why they have pop up flashes on their full frame professional cameras and Canon hasn't yet.

Sometimes though you'll need to worry about lighting between room without line of sight, i.e through a window on the other side of a camera. Line of sight wont work. I just went with the most versatile and cost effective option and because it's non-proprietary, it'll work with any speedlite you buy!

In regards to the above post; I've heard good things about the cactus triggers but one major gripe is the fact they sit up so high with the flash on top. If you're looking to bounce your speedlites into umbrellas and such, it'll be really off center. The cactus triggers add an extra ~2 inches in height :meh:

Most reactions

Back