Camera Help

Stewart_Orr89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can help? My father recently passed away. He was into his photography. Mainly wildlife.... However, I have been dealing with his estate and came across his camera. It is a Nikon D850. I have attached some pictures.

I am looking to sell the camera but would have no idea where to start as camera's are not my thing. I don't want to go somewhere and get ripped off. So hoping for some help in here if possible?

As you can see it comes with this lense...There is also another lense (unsure if it goes onto this camera). There is a bag for carrying. Multiple wires, there is also spare batteries. There is a trip-pod. Seems like a complete set up.

What should I be asking for and where is the best place to sell?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

20240209_212540.jpg
20240209_212512.jpg
20240209_212423.jpg
20240209_212451.jpg
20240209_212754.jpg

20240209_212551.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go to KEH.com Send them these pictures and they will give you a estimate.

First, there is some detail that would affect the selling price for this package (together or separately) that because of your inexperience you're not going to be able to answer. So the first question you want to ask is: "how much trouble do I want to go to in order to get the maximum value of this kit?" For instance, you need to have a good sense of the wear, what is or is not in working order, how many shutter actuations the camera has had.

Second, about the package: the Nikon 850 is a professional grade camera. If you were a pro shooting portraiture or landscapes and using a DSLR, you'd carry the 850 (for sports and wildlife it would be the D5). The lens with it are reasonably expensive lens (generally speaking, lens with focal lengths longer than 200mm usually are). The tripod with it looks like a piece of junk that won't stabilize that camera with a big lens.

But additionally, it's a DSLR, it's not mirrorless. And mirrorless is where the field is going these days. So DSLRs are discounted (even professional grade ones). For starters, I'd take the entire kit in to a local camera store that buys and sells used cameras. They probably won't be interested in anything other than the body and the 2 lens. But you don't know until you ask. And they won't offer you full price (they need to make a profit). But it will give you an idea of what ballpark prices you're talking about. That gives you a starting point.

After that, you need to make a decision: how much more time do you want to spend getting knowledgable about cameras (so you can answer questions from potential buyers) and how much more time do you want to spend on this? For instance, if you sell this yourself, you'll need to know if it's a gray market camera or lens (which affects if Nikon or the lens makers will do service on the item and/or if a warranty still applies). You'll need to know the shutter count. You'll need to be accurately describe the wear and condition. You'll be asked about what they were used to shoot (ie: what weather and conditions the gear was exposed to). For instance, if I were making you an offer I'd ask "was it exposed to rain? Did it ever get wet? Were there any filters on the end of the lens? Can I see the end of the glass" (to see if it has scratches or dust or water drops--which indicates it wasn't cared for well). If it's someone who isn't visiting in person, you may be asked to take some photos and share them (so they can test the AF or what potential issues there are with the lens).

The simplest approach would be to contact KEH (who buy and sell used gear) and see what they'll take. They'll offer you a fair price. Again, a bunch of the gear (like the batteries, the tripod, probably the backpack) they won't be interested in. The way to maximize your money is to try and sell it yourself as a package either on e-bay or by yourself to sellers in-person. That approach requires you get more knowledge and then you have to deal with answering questions, having people drop by (if you're selling it in person), ask if they can "test it for a couple of days" or buy it and then demand their money back.

Good luck!

Buy&Sell needs a sticky advising how to do valuations. Posts like this would be re-directed and locked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back