What's new

50mm 1.8 for Movies

TheEugeneKam

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I am thinking about using my T1i to film amature movies with. I am going to use manual focus ofcourse and external audio recorder. So my question is, considering using zoom in a movie, unless its a special shot, is just impractical and unpoffesional; the depth of field on 50mm is movie like having foreground in focus and background is blurry; and large aperture opening to have good low light preformance, i think its perfect for the price. Am i wrong in any of these, because it seems to be good for the movie and photography alike.
 
No i think you're right about all of those, I uploaded a quick footage of my 50mm f/1.4 and i think its great for video recording. The only thing is on those lenses any filter crates glare like a mofo not sure why. Here's a ling to the vid Canon 60d w/ 50mm f1.4 on Vimeo
 
looks good to me. I see waht you mean about the filter glare though. I should be okay for that. :D
 
The two most used lenses when I shoot video are my 50mm 1.4 and my 28mm 2.8. For zoom, I have my feet. :)
 
zoom is pointless whe nshooting video, awesome, i cant afford 1.4, well also i dont want to pay for it so much considering its 2 fstops down the line and like 4 times the price.
 
zoom is pointless whe nshooting video, awesome, i cant afford 1.4, well also i dont want to pay for it so much considering its 2 fstops down the line and like 4 times the price.

I can't afford it either... :)

I watch Craigslist every single day for people selling equipment at bargain prices and found a lady selling her ex-husband's camera equipment for $100. A Pentax film camera with about 8 lenses, including a 50mm 1.4. Add a $7 Pentax to EOS adapter and voila!

I gave the camera to the local high school (they still teach photography there) and sold 5 of the lenses on eBay for $350.
 
zoom is pointless whe nshooting video, awesome, i cant afford 1.4, well also i dont want to pay for it so much considering its 2 fstops down the line and like 4 times the price.

If its something you will be keeping for a couple years i say go with 1.4 simply because there's a big difference in build quality. It took me a while to make that decision but im glad i did.
 
If you pay attention to the cinematography in just about any movie, you'll notice that pretty well everything is shot using one lens that they move around to different positions and perspectives between scenes.

Zooming is only ever done for effect, and not done often.

The 50/1.8 should be an ideal lens for this.
 
If you pay attention to the cinematography in just about any movie, you'll notice that pretty well everything is shot using one lens that they move around to different positions and perspectives between scenes.

Zooming is only ever done for effect, and not done often.

The 50/1.8 should be an ideal lens for this.

I agree, however, the first rule about making movies is that THERE ARE NO RULES! Just because something isn't typically done, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It's your movie, your vision, your story... tell it YOUR way. As long as YOU are happy with the results, in the end, that's all that matters.

That said, I find excessive unnecessary (in my opinion) zooming to be annoying.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom