50mm 1.8 vs 1.4

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
There is a lot of hype going on around my office about the new 1.4 lens? Now what's the difference from the 1.8 vs 1.4? Is the 1.4 going to be that much better?

If you're talking canon, then YES. My friend just got the 50mm 1.4 and said it was a world of difference from his old 1.8. Clearer, Amazing pictures. He's been in photography for almost a decade now.

Although, I don't know how new the canon 1.4 is?

The NEW 50MM F/1.4 is not worth the premium over the older 50MM F/1.4 in my book.

If you are however strapped for cash, neither can beat the 50MM F/1.8 in price AND performance (the F/1.4 beats the F/1.8 in performance if you ask me).

Ok so I should buy the Nikkor 50mm 1.4?

What body do you have? If you have a D40/D60, go for the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S. If you have a better or older body, go for either the old 50mm f/1.4 AF-D or the f/1.8, depending on your budget. They're both good. The 1.4 is a tad better optically but costs twice as much, so you decide.

couldn't justify the cost of a 1.4, i love my 50mm 1.8 it almost never comes off the camera.:mrgreen:

i was agonizing about this just couple days ago, ended up with the 1.4 thinking i'll probably eventually get it someday

my canon 1.4 just came in the mail today... i'll see what's what in a few hours

I don't know if I would pay double for the 1.4. The 1.8 suits me just fine.

I heard the 1.8 is built extremely cheap compared to the 1.4. Then again, I'm speaking of the Canon lens. don't know about that other brand.

Well guys.....I just bought my first lens....I'm excited although I don't even have a camera yet..LOL I got the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. They have them on Amazon right now for !09.95 and free shipping so I suggest if anyone needs one they buy it now while the price is this low.

Well guys.....I just bought my first lens....I'm excited although I don't even have a camera yet..LOL I got the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. They have them on Amazon right now for !09.95 and free shipping so I suggest if anyone needs one they buy it now while the price is this low.
if you're referring to the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D then that's what the price has been for a while but still a great deal for the optics you're getting (I just wish the 28mm or 35mm lenses could be had for that cheap). Any other fixed focal length AF lens is going to cost more. Now that you have that lens, keep in mind it won't AF on the D40, D40x or D60, so you may want to choose another camera that has the motor to AF that and other older lenses. I use it so rarely on my D40 that I don't mind manually focusing it that much. The D80 would be a good choice for most purposes or, if on a stricter budget, the older D50 or D70/D70s are still pretty popular. If you are interested in picking up older manual lenses (AI, AIS or AI'd), something like the D200 (or D300 if you have a lot of money laying around) would be able to meter with these older MF lenses (you still have to manually focus them of course).

Last edited:
The canon 1.8 50mm is only $85 shipped on amazon.com

I still don't understand why people are paying close to $100 on ebay for the same lens.

Most reactions

Back