50mm compared to 18-55mm

camera boyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking at lenses and I noticed that the price of a 50mm lens is a lot more than a similar 18-55mm zoom lense. What's the benefit to having a 50mm lens opposed to a 18-55mm lens? Are there specific pictures that it works better for?

Thanks for the help!

The 50mm is probably (most likely) faster, as in an f/1.4 or f/1.8 range while your 18-55 is probably an f/3.5-5.6 or so.

This makes the 50mm better in low light and a shallower depth of field... oh, and nicer bokeh most likely.

Depending on which 50mm prime you are looking at......faster, sharper, better out of focus background qualities....perhaps better build.

Check out some of the review site such as photozone.de and slrgear.com. Read the review on both lenses. You will see some main differences between the 2.

In general, cost of the lens is higher when it has one of more of the following factors.

Better build quality
Better optical quality
Faster autofocus
Wider maximum aperture

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it

Despite any advantages of the 50mm vs the 18mm to 55mm lens, the important issue is focal length. A 50mm prime is the equivalent of 75mm on a crop body. Great for portraiture but limited in close, inside shooting.

On the otherhand the zoom is 27mm to 78mm in 35mm terms. I use the 27mm focal length a lot more frequently than 75mm or 78mm.

skieur

I have both

both are great for different things.

18-55 is a great all purpose walk around lens.

50 is great for portraits or low light

Most reactions

New Topics

Back