50mm f/1.8 went up in price?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is stupid...why'd it go up? Does anyone know if they made an improvement to the Canon 50mm f/1.8?

I had one, and sold it with my XT, and now want to buy it again...but it's $89.99 instead of the old $79.99... hrmmmph.

:lol: You've been living under a rock. There was a huge discussion about why the other week.

No it's the same lens.

:lol: You've been living under a rock. There was a huge discussion about why the other week.

No it's the same lens.

dad gum... ok. Yeah I quit my TPF addiction...but then I came back :thumbup:

Maybe it is just the US$ going down again?

dad gum... ok. Yeah I quit my TPF addiction...but then I came back :thumbup:

I quit cold turkey......trying to quit my TPF addiction that is.

Any who, not that the lens discussion holds any relevence to my bag, but I do remember seeing not only the afore mentioned discussion but also the preceeding roumor of this some time ago.

Adorama has the grey market one for $79 and the USA one for $84. I remember buying mine about 9 months ago for $69.

i'd speculate over that, it's probably pretty accurate.

but that might indicate further increases in price for imported camera gear ... in particular if the dollar continues its tour at the bottom of the lake ...

All camera-related equipment is ridiculously cheap in the US if you compare with Europe.

it's pretty cheap compared to the canadian market, too.
if i could tolerate sending something back to the states for repair (which i can't) i would definitely buy all of my gear south o' the border.

My feeling is still the failing dollar.

The leica folk are also feeling the price increase pretty much every 4-6 months now. We are not talking a dollar here and there... we are talking price increases in the double digit percentile points. Someone posted in another forum $$$ of various Leica gear from a magazine back in 2001. If you compare them to the same stuff sold on BHphoto.com now, it is pretty shocking.

50/1.0 brand new as listed in 2001, $2795, and now in 2008 it costs $5995
35/2.0 brand new as listed in 2001, $1495, and now in 2008 it costs $2595
50/2.0 brand new as listed in 2007, $995, and now in 2008 it costs $1795.

etc...

Its all ok... camera stuff is luxury... and I could live without. I'm getting worried because I'm seeing the prices jump on basic necessities as well. From where I sit, a lot of goods and services are going up.. to the point that it feels like a pay-cut every couple months or so.

Sucks that the price went up. I WAS going to buy it back in december but needed gift money. Was pissed when i went to order it and saw that the price was up everywhere. I still ordered it for 89.99 from BH.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back