What's new

50mm f/1.8

Hmm, the D version is now an older version with the newer G version being released not too long ago.
I think the G version is quite a lot better than the D version which might be worth the extra money (about $50 if I'm correct).
 
the AF-S 1.8G will be priced around $220.

$100 is pretty average deal. They go for $140 new I believe. If you were buying used for $100, then it's not a good deal. Nikon Outlet has refurbished 50mm 1.8Ds for $99 plus shipping($7) and tax for some states. Comes with 90 day warranty. My gf just bought one and its in the mail somewhere.
 
How long ago did the g version come out; i just checked b&h and it said that they'll have 'em in June which isn't too long just wondering how new it is?
 
How long ago did the g version come out; i just checked b&h and it said that they'll have 'em in June which isn't too long just wondering how new it is?


According to Nikon Press Release, it should be officially released in June 16.

"The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G lens is scheduled to be available at Nikon authorized dealers beginning June 16, 2011 at an estimated selling price of $219.95."
 
wait for the 50mm AF-S 1.8 only if you have a non motored body....
 

Your body doesn't have a focus motor in it so in order to auto focus you need lenses that have the motor built into them. It's my understanding that the new 50 that is coming out has a motor in it, the older 1.8 does not so if you get it you will have to manually focus it. I could be wrong as I'm a Canon guy but I'm at least 70% sure of this.
 

Your body doesn't have a focus motor in it so in order to auto focus you need lenses that have the motor built into them. It's my understanding that the new 50 that is coming out has a motor in it, the older 1.8 does not so if you get it you will have to manually focus it. I could be wrong as I'm a Canon guy but I'm at least 70% sure of this.


The d70 does have an internal focusing motor, the lens i have now doesnt have its own motor
 
So 70% certain was pushing it a bit. :lol: Sorry about that. A nikon guy will pop in soon enough.
 
lol. all i wanna know is if its really worth the extra cash, guess ill just wait till it comes out and i can read/watch some reviews
 
wait for the 50mm AF-S 1.8 only if you have a non motored body....

So like webada was saying...^^^

If you "needed" a lens with a built-in motor, wait for this one. Since you don't need a lens with a built in motor, you may as well get the more economical and readily available AF 50mm f/1.8D
 
Oh i already knew that just couldn't understand what he was saying. So are the two lenses the same aside from the auto focusing motor being built in with the g lens?
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom