50mm help

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking to purchase a Nikon 50mm and am not sure of the difference or how much of one.Im seeing a 1.4d, 1.8d, 1.4g. The 1.4g is about 200.00 more than the others and was wondering if there is that much of a difference for the money. im using a Nikon D90

Well, Rob...... not meaning to be a complete smartass on a Sunday morning, but a quick search of TPF threads with "50mm" in the title, revealed 40 threads in the last 3 months. I'm certain something can be gleaned from them.

I also use photozone.de as my first port of call for lens reviews, second is Thom Hogans site then move out from there, like Fred Miranda and a whole host of others.

As a general rule, there is a reason for the difference in price. Justification for the purchase is dependent on budget, shooting style and objective (which is subjective).

hehhe... what he said.

Just buy the 1.8 unless you have deep pockets. Not a huge diff.

I bought the 1.4g while I was still using my D40.. maybe a month or so later, I bought the D90.. so if i would've been smart, I would've got the 1.4d or even the 1.8d and gotten used to the razor thin DoF by manually focusing on my D40 before buying my D90 which can AF the lenses.

Long story short, I wouldnt spend the extra for the 1.4g

Look around for a used 50mm f/1.8 in AF, or preferrably in the newer AF-D mount. The last 50mm 1.8 F I bught I got last year, and I payed $40 for it in mint shape with a classic, early MINT, a truly MINT condition 1960's lens cap with the NIKKOR log on it. The vintage lens cap was worth almost as much as I payed for the lens.

I would not buy a new 50mm 1.8 Nikkor...the lens is simple and sturdy and even 20-year old ones from the mid-1980's are usually in good shape. You can sometimes find one on a mid-1980's clunker like a 4004 or 6006 for $65; take the lens off, donate the 4004 to Good Will.

Look around for a used 50mm f/1.8 in AF, or preferrably in the newer AF-D mount. The last 50mm 1.8 F I bught I got last year, and I payed $40 for it in mint shape with a classic, early MINT, a truly MINT condition 1960's lens cap with the NIKKOR log on it. The vintage lens cap was worth almost as much as I payed for the lens.

I would not buy a new 50mm 1.8 Nikkor...the lens is simple and sturdy and even 20-year old ones from the mid-1980's are usually in good shape. You can sometimes find one on a mid-1980's clunker like a 4004 or 6006 for $65; take the lens off, donate the 4004 to Good Will.

Besides, the current ones are made in China. To Nikon'w credit, however, you need a magnifying glass to read the wording.

Well, Rob...... not meaning to be a complete smartass on a Sunday morning, but a quick search of TPF threads with "50mm" in the title, revealed 40 threads in the last 3 months. I'm certain something can be gleaned from them.

I also use photozone.de as my first port of call for lens reviews, second is Thom Hogans site then move out from there, like Fred Miranda and a whole host of others.

As a general rule, there is a reason for the difference in price. Justification for the purchase is dependent on budget, shooting style and objective (which is subjective).

Hmmm

Most reactions

Back