52 Weeks (NOW COMPLETED! WOOHOO!)

Beautiful places don't come to you, you have to seek them out. Waver for a moment, and they're gone. So walk through the forest fervently, listen carefully to the world's tonality, and live.

For Week 36 of my 52 Weeks project, I took a much needed solo hike deep into the Santa Cruz Mountains. 10 miles to be exact.

As redwoods towered above me, it gave me time to think, to destress, and most of all to reconnect with the natural world I find so lacking in the Bay Area.

Seeing this toppled giant and the lush greenery adjacent, I set up to take a shot. Only once I was set up did I realize that the photo wasn't meant to be just about the tree. Just like my hike, this image had to be a reminder of my place in the world as a photographer. After all, this entire project is as much about my journey as a photographer, as it is about the images themselves.

So, I set up my remote timer, clambered onto the tree, and enjoyed the surroundings for a few minutes.

All in all, the hike was a huge personal success, giving me the opportunity to regain perspective, and relax.

52 Weeks: Amongst Giants (36/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Again, thanks for tuning in folks :)

Excellent! It would have been a dud without you in it. :thumbsup:

Thanks you man! Always great knowing I can get your feedback :)

P.S: I've got the Big Stopper now, and the .9 soft from Lee, testing them out tomorrow!

Beautiful places don't come to you, you have to seek them out. Waver for a moment, and they're gone. So walk through the forest fervently, listen carefully to the world's tonality, and live.

For Week 36 of my 52 Weeks project, I took a much needed solo hike deep into the Santa Cruz Mountains. 10 miles to be exact.

As redwoods towered above me, it gave me time to think, to destress, and most of all to reconnect with the natural world I find so lacking in the Bay Area.

Seeing this toppled giant and the lush greenery adjacent, I set up to take a shot. Only once I was set up did I realize that the photo wasn't meant to be just about the tree. Just like my hike, this image had to be a reminder of my place in the world as a photographer. After all, this entire project is as much about my journey as a photographer, as it is about the images themselves.

So, I set up my remote timer, clambered onto the tree, and enjoyed the surroundings for a few minutes.

All in all, the hike was a huge personal success, giving me the opportunity to regain perspective, and relax.

52 Weeks: Amongst Giants (36/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Again, thanks for tuning in folks :)

Excellent! It would have been a dud without you in it. :thumbsup:

Thanks you man! Always great knowing I can get your feedback :)

P.S: I've got the Big Stopper now, and the .9 soft from Lee, testing them out tomorrow!

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what kind of magic you can make with them [emoji106]

I haven't really been keeping up on this, but I just went over it, and what a great thread!!! Good job! :)

Week 38 marked a special place in the project for me. After months of studying for my GRE exam, I was finally able to put down the pencils, and pick the camera back up again. Nearly two weeks of no shooting whatsoever meant I had a hankering for a photo, and I was set to satisfy that hunger.

Finishing a great day at the Monterey Bay Aquarium with the girlfriend (star of the "Athina" image from earlier in this project), we headed out to Asilomar Beach with less than an hour before sunset. The clouds proved less dramatic than forecasted, but regardless, the photo came out just as I'd hoped. I absolutely plan on returning to this wonderful chunk of coastline, with its steep rocky stacks, and fantastic tidepools.

Until next week!

Week 38 of 52: Iridescence

52 Weeks: Iridescence (38/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Wait... You studied for the GRE?!

For Week 39 of my 52 Weeks project, I headed out to Davenport, CA on a weekday after work. Racing through traffic, hoping for a decent sunset, I arrived at the coast with about half an hour to spare. After exploring the beach, which was new to me, I decided that the sea stack and rocky formations running about 1/3 the length of the beach would be a nice way to give some texture to the shot. Sunset proved to be a bust, blocked by heavy clouds, but the fog provided a nice smoky texture to the photo after a 30 second exposure.

Week 39 of 52: Smoke on The Water

52 Weeks: Smoke On The Water (39/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 40 of my 52 Weeks project went out with a BANG! Talk about an awesome sunset, the first decent one I've caught since moving. I drove out to Davenport, remembering from about a month ago seeing what appeared to be pylons in the distance. Next thing I know, I'm climbing down a cliffside with all my gear, heading to this awesome secluded beach with said pylons. As far as I can tell, they used to be for the deserted cement factory nearby. Now, they stand as guardians amongst huge breaking waves, and provide refuge to a few solitary cormorants.

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee .9GND Soft

Week 40 of 52: Gateway

52 Weeks: Gateway (40/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

For Week 41 of my 52 Weeks photo project, I had the special opportunity to do a couples shoot (my first) for two great people, Valeria and Henry.

Meeting on the UC Davis campus, we headed off towards the renowned Arboretum. Having rained the day before, things were a little wet, but our special couple came prepared with a blanket. It just so happens, they also brought along their puppy! The little guy was a riot, endlessly running around through the shoot and really helping keep the mood as fun and bubbly as a couples shoot should be!

Week 41 of 52: Valeria and Henry

52 Weeks: Valeria and Henry (41/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 42 had me back in Davis, on yet another great shoot with my friend and model, Rachel!

This time around, we set off towards Winters, well, more like far-west Davis. Near one of the areas oldest bridges, which you've seen earlier in this series via Steph's photograph. We found a grassy field and set to it!

Rachel was great, bringing some great emotion into the shoot and totally toughing out the cold morning!

Week 42 of 52: Goosebumps

52 Weeks: Goosebumps (42/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 43 of my 52 Weeks project had me in Redwood National Park. Some of the largest trees in the world reside here, amongst thick ferns and massive mushrooms. The damp climate, while beautiful with it's nightly enveloping mist, proved to be a bit cold for two somewhat underprepared campers. All in all, I plan on returning!

This photo was taken in a creekbed, as the water runs to the nearby ocean beneath layers of tall grasses and mossy tree remnants. Athina and I had just completed a hike into the legendary Fern Canyon, but we were unable to complete the course thanks to one angsty teenager who decided to destroy a critical water-crossing's bridge. Nonetheless, the surrounding area was equally beautiful. These flowing grasses especially caught my eye.

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee .9GND Soft
Lee Big Stopper

Week 43 of 52: Shire Subversion

52 Weeks: Shire Subversion (43/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 44 of 52 for my 52 Weeks project came and went during my visit to Redwood National Park, in the far northern reaches of California's coastline. On our final evening in the park, we stopped on the road and settled on a beach to shoot for sunset. I clambered over the rocks as waves began to break amongst them, and waited. It was worth it!

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee .9GND Soft

Week 44 of 52: Between Breakers

52 Weeks: Between Breakers (44/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back