55-250 IS? Do you have another suggestion?

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

So I'm looking at picking up the Canon 55-250 IS as my new telephoto. I like the sharpness I've been seeing in photos taken with it, and I trust Canon lenses. I'm primarily picking it up to do wildlife photography (including some bugs perhaps, dragonflies, etc), but it occurred to me that I might as well ask if any of you had suggestions on any other lenses with similar focal lengths and sharpness? IS of some form is basically a must. What I'm looking at is a max price range of $250, so I know my options are quite limited from that standpoint alone, but I'm open to hearing suggestions you might have!

P.S: Please no focal lengths below 50mm, I'm not looking for an all-purpose lens, just one that performs well at wildlife photography :)

Toga

Good luck. What you're after (a sharp tele) is the most expensive type of lens out there.

A 70-300 may be something to look into but it's not fast and rather weak on the long end.

IMO - save your money and look for something used on Craigs List.

At your price range the 55-250 is the best youre going to get. Check out the photozone reviews for the lens. About the best less than $500 telephoto you will find for canon

At your price range the 55-250 is the best youre going to get. Check out the photozone reviews for the lens. About the best less than $500 telephoto you will find for canon

Thats pretty much what I figured, I just thought I'd ask if anyone had suggestions for a comparable Sigma or Tamron.

Granted, it's more, but still not a bank-breaker- I think you'd enjoy the 70-200 f/4 since it sounds like you'll be using it mainly outdoors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back