580 EXII question about data passed from camera

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that the Canon 580EXII flash can have ISO and aperture data passed to it by the camera... I know the 1D Canon camera body will pass this data to the flash. Will the 40D camera pass this data automatically to the flash or do I have to enter it in manual mode?

I don't have experience with the 40D but it worked fine on the 20D, if I understand what you're getting at. On the 20D you can set any combination of ISO and aperture and the flash will be adjusted accordingly in TTL mode. I assume nothing has changed about this between the 580 and the 580II.

I don't have experience with the 40D but it worked fine on the 20D, if I understand what you're getting at. On the 20D you can set any combination of ISO and aperture and the flash will be adjusted accordingly in TTL mode. I assume nothing has changed about this between the 580 and the 580II.
Thanks. I was reading this review and the author only had a 1D and wasn't clear (didn't know) if other DSLR's in Canon's line-up supported this auto feature. If it was supported way back to the 20D... Jesh, this guy has been using professional grade cameras far too long. :lmao:

Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash Review

I am about ready to buy a flash and I want to make sure I get the right one and not one that has a bunch of features my camera can't make use of.

Any canon body that supports ETTL-II will communicate just about everything necessary between the body and the flash (and vice versa). To the best of my understanding, the 1D/s MKII and 580EX II integration beyond that of the rest of the lineup extends only to being able to control the flash from the 1D menus. The 580EX II also mirror's the 1DmkIII's standards for environmental sealing and the like.

I bought a 580EXII for my XTi and, while pricey, I love it. I used a friend's 430 before and after the 580 and the power output of the 580 just makes life easier, even if you're not using many of the other features.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back