5D mark iv - White balance in live view mode

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I quite recently bought a new 5d mark iv and excited trying variety of shots. The other day I thought of doing some experiments with white balance and I found something strange.

All I wanted was to try this:

When I tried I got stuck:
1. Toggled the live view button to still pictures icon
2. Turnedcamera to live view mode
3. pressed the "WB.(metering mode)" button
4. Here I go two rows of options (first difference from the video referred above) - One for metering mode and the other for WB
5. I used quick dial to hover around the different presets of WB.
6. So far, it was good. I reached "K" icon, the camera did not give me an option to choose the temperature. Instead, it returned to its shooting mode screen.

I have a strong doubt on the difference mentioned in point no. 4. Can someone help me with what is wrong?

Just an idea from me, not a 5D-IV expert in any way! The camera likely can not do "certain things" in Programmed or Green Box mode...it is "possible" that the camera must be in Manual, or Av or Tv modes to do custom WB settings.

Second: what is the "OK" button, after the White Balance in Degrees Kelvin (the "K" symbol)? What button completes the setting? Again, perhaps the WB cannot be set in LV mode?

I dunno...these are just ideas. The user manual ought to detail the steps necessary to complete the process, but again--it's possible that the WB cannot be set as a degrees Kelvin WB in green Box mode.

The menu you see in the video you posted only shows how to change white balance when shooting VIDEO. For PHOTO it's a bit different.

The "WB" button on the top of the camera will quickly access the white balance "modes" (e.g. cloudy, tungsten, etc.) and will even let you choose the kelvin or custom white balance options... but it doesn't let you define the kelvin temperature or the custom white balance reference image.

To do that, select: "Menu" -> red-camera icon tab #2 -> and then either "White Balance" or "Custom White Balance". If you pick "White Balance" from that menu, you'll get something similar to what was shown in the video (the kelvin temps only show up if you select the "K" otherwise the kelvin temps are hidden).

If you pick "Custom White Balance" from the menu, it will prompt you to select a reference image from a previously shot photo (typically defaulting to the last image you shot ... if I recall correctly). So you'd shoot a gray-card target, then go into the menu, pick "Custom White Balance", set that photo, and you're done.

HOWEVER... if you shoot RAW (and it's almost a shame to use a 5D IV and not shoot RAW. RAW is where you get to take advantage of all the dynamic range and adjustment latitude) then white balance is ignored. White balance is never actually applied to a RAW file. As I recall, the image meta-data will report which white balance you selected so that compatible software can apply it in post processing automatically... but it wont be applied to the image stored by the camera (and you an always override the setting in post processing anyway.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back