5D MII Video mode, use limitations.

Just confirms your lack of experience. Perhaps you are a kid. By the way, as a pixel mechanic I doubt you have any background in video or television production. Try trumping my experience. You won't!

skieur

I have no need to engage your ego or present mine. Please respect our freedom to discuss this without conflict.

-Shea

I have no need to engage your ego or present mine. Please respect our freedom to discuss this without conflict.

-Shea

Ah, your ego seems to want to totally control the direction and content of the discussion. All I did was ask some valid questions which you refused to either answer or discuss.

So, I am keeping it simple and asking again. If you are talking about serious video, why not use a camcorder? If you are talking about serious video, you admitted that you are not aware of the cost factors at all, so what is your rationale? What video content do you see being done with DSLRs and for what audience?

You seem to be in effect, pleading ignorance and laughing at valid questions at the same time. Why are you wasting everyone's time?

skieur

Here are my perceptions: The why not use a video camera question pretty much indicates that you are not a fan of DSLR video, further backed up by comments about Youtube,.. so rather than discuss or defend my ideas, I would rather not engage you. Simple judo.

Control, well no just a structured conversation with some key issues that I have identified and wish to learn more about. I never suggested I was going to shoot the next BMW commercial.

As Keith and I have both confirmed, we are interested in full frame still photography as the primary use of the camera. What I may do with the video capabilities, well that is my business and not really what I wanted to get into here. But suffice it to say it will be short format eye candy shot through a variety of quality lenses. No motion control rigs or jimmy jibs etc..

Your big number dropping and I'm such a pro postulations combined with snap judgments about me do not encourage me to dialog with you at all. You don't see me all talking up my 5 Emmy's (in 2 disciplines) or show boating some huge day rate...

How refreshing if you could have just shared your experiences, brought your expertise to the table, or simply ignored the thread having realized it was not for you.

It is these off topic 'discussions' that are a waste of time, and nobody has a gun to your head.

I said good day sir. :lmao:

MODS, might as well lock it down.

Last edited:
BTW New RED teaser shot. I wonder if maybe they will release an HDR* DSLR with 60fps 1080p capabilities... 6 more days before the big let down, I mean announcement.

*Meaning the thing might have some incredible bit depth, in essence bringing camera raw to video. Open EXR. RED Raw..Just a wild guess.

Last edited:
A couple more RED teaser's... look like 3D renderings to me, wanna play name that port? The XLR's are pretty obvious...

red_ports-tease-hot2see.jpg

-Shea

Last edited:
Well it looks like Jannard has let the RED news fly a little early (5 hours) - probably could not sleep. Pictures of a modular camera system and some cryptic crops are filling the RED boards.

Looks expensive! Doubt it has much financial relevance to the 5DmII when you load it up. Will be fun to sort the specs in the am..

Hot link to Jannards post, source linked above:
1226567561.jpg

1226657741.jpg

it looks really really complicated!
but its got a big red button - clearly that is all you need to learn about to use it!

Be very interesting to see how this new camera performs

Well what I did not know very early this morning that has now come to light:

Canon & Nikon lens mounts start on the S35 ($7K) and up. That is the 5K 30 fps version (30x24mm sensor). Cheaper 'brains' (think sensor body & very modular) start below 2 grand, but with limited mounts or fixed lens.

Sensors from 4.9 megapixels all the way up to the Monstro, 261 mp! Thats 28,000 X 9334 (25 fps) $55K, brain only.

Hard to fathom why they would even bother with 2/3rds sensor... The Full Frame FF35 starts at $35K for the sensor which is capable of 100 fps, 4K motion, 24 mp stills.

With those kind of numbers Canon has nothing to worry about regarding 5DmII sales. Many speculated that RED would directly compete, I'm not seeing it.

-Shea

I think they are showing off what they can do - and also making a modular system means that they can upgrade components as needed - given time they might be able to make a setup that will compete (body wise) for photographers that operate mostly from a tripod - handhald wise it looks a little bit of a mess currently and a bit fiddly.

That said this is a video camera pretending to be a stills and video kit tends tobe more expensive so I think it will get good sales in the video market.

Currently its not a thread - but if they make their kit cheaper as they upgrade it they might suddenly appear on the market as a good body choice - also a good body choice without being tied to a range of lenses - that would appeal to many I think

Most reactions

New Topics

Back