Amateur seeks upgrade help or advice!

wisdomkills

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello photo forum ! First time posting. From what I've read I am confident you all will be able to help me find exactly what I'm looking for.

I would definitely not consider myself a professional photographer or cinematographer by any means, however I do enjoy capturing and documenting the things around me. As a travelling musician I experience many unique things which I can capture and create into some entertaining works, both just for pleasure and for marketing material for the groups YouTube. So what I am on the hunt for is a camera versatile enough to tick many boxes without sacrificing too much in one area just to be the best in another.

Here is my situation, the gear I use now has been great in the past but I am looking to move to a single camera which can do many, if not all, of the things the others can. This would be for efficiency in working and also to cut down on the amount of things we have to lug around on the road. Currently I am using a Canon 5D mark ii with a Canon EF 24-105mm macro lens and Tamron AF 14mm Aspherical wide angle lens. Our secondary camera is a massive Canon XF300 which I am more than tired of lugging around as it is great for certain shots but is pretty noisy in low light situations and not ideal for all the moving around we do. And lastly we have a couple GoPro Hero 3's.

And so I seek your help. What I am looking for specifically is the perfect camera to replace what we have and will be able to accomplish the following:

• Preferably shoots 4k video or at least 2.7k (for cropping motion when editing etc.)

• Preferably shoots 1080 up to 120 fps (for slow motion work)

• A high dynamic range (to capture inside of dark nightclubs, venues etc.)

• Heavy duty build (I'm very used to the DSLR body of the 5D and its rugged build is durable enough for the road)
For lenses, what we have is great but any suggestions are very much appreciated! If I am able to use these lenses with the new camera that would be awesome but I am also looking for a lens(es) match that

• Has better depth of field for B-roll and close up shots while on the road

• Good in low light

• General use for medium and long shots while were on stage
I apologize now if this was a bit long-winded . I definitely respect the huge amount of experience that exists between the users of this thread. I do appreciate any and all suggestions and comments any of you may have. And I look forward to hearing from you all, getting through this upgrade knowing I did my research, and moving on to better work and better products!

I'd like a camera like that too, but I don't think anyone makes one with all those capabilities.

Depth of field is mostly about the lenses and lens settings you use. Image sensor size is part of the DoF equation, but we can't adjust that in a camera.
Where space permits telephoto focal lengths and small lens apertures deliver the shallowest DoF.
Wide angle lenses can't deliver a shallow DoF.

I'd like a camera like that too, but I don't think anyone makes one with all those capabilities.

Depth of field is mostly about the lenses and lens settings you use. Image sensor size is part of the DoF equation, but we can't adjust that in a camera.
Where space permits telephoto focal lengths and small lens apertures deliver the shallowest DoF.
Wide angle lenses can't deliver a shallow DoF.
I feel Your information is a little misleading. Large aperture delivers a shallow dof and wide angle lenses can deliver a shallow dof in relation. However yes larger focal length lenses do tend to smash backgrounds better, they also flatten the image much more.
Take a look
Which Lens Should I Use? | Focal Length Comparison

Hello photo forum ! First time posting. From what I've read I am confident you all will be able to help me find exactly what I'm looking for.

I would definitely not consider myself a professional photographer or cinematographer by any means, however I do enjoy capturing and documenting the things around me. As a travelling musician I experience many unique things which I can capture and create into some entertaining works, both just for pleasure and for marketing material for the groups YouTube. So what I am on the hunt for is a camera versatile enough to tick many boxes without sacrificing too much in one area just to be the best in another.

Here is my situation, the gear I use now has been great in the past but I am looking to move to a single camera which can do many, if not all, of the things the others can. This would be for efficiency in working and also to cut down on the amount of things we have to lug around on the road. Currently I am using a Canon 5D mark ii with a Canon EF 24-105mm macro lens and Tamron AF 14mm Aspherical wide angle lens. Our secondary camera is a massive Canon XF300 which I am more than tired of lugging around as it is great for certain shots but is pretty noisy in low light situations and not ideal for all the moving around we do. And lastly we have a couple GoPro Hero 3's.

And so I seek your help. What I am looking for specifically is the perfect camera to replace what we have and will be able to accomplish the following:

• Preferably shoots 4k video or at least 2.7k (for cropping motion when editing etc.)

• Preferably shoots 1080 up to 120 fps (for slow motion work)

• A high dynamic range (to capture inside of dark nightclubs, venues etc.)

• Heavy duty build (I'm very used to the DSLR body of the 5D and its rugged build is durable enough for the road)
For lenses, what we have is great but any suggestions are very much appreciated! If I am able to use these lenses with the new camera that would be awesome but I am also looking for a lens(es) match that

• Has better depth of field for B-roll and close up shots while on the road

• Good in low light

• General use for medium and long shots while were on stage
I apologize now if this was a bit long-winded . I definitely respect the huge amount of experience that exists between the users of this thread. I do appreciate any and all suggestions and comments any of you may have. And I look forward to hearing from you all, getting through this upgrade knowing I did my research, and moving on to better work and better products!

What you're looking for doesn't come cheap: www.red.com/store/products/dsmc2-brain/710-0303

Expensive, but Canon 1D X mark ii might fulfil your needs. I think it shoots 1080p @ 120 fps, and 4K @ 60 fps.

Being used to canon 5d body, you may look at 5d MK4. It has 4K recording capabilities & you will be able to use your existing lens.

Most reactions

Back