5D mk III or IV? Is the III still relevant in 2020?

maybe the 6D II if someone can make a case for it)

I have the 6D mark II and really like it. The day I got it I almost got the 5D mark IV. I decided to spend the savings on glass. In hindsight, that was smart. You'll likely find with a full frame you'll want to invest in glass that gets the most out of it.

Part of me is also waiting in hope that a mk V will be released to lower the price of the used market or that the R5 w

There will be no mark V. Well there is, it is called the R5.

The R5 and R6 will drop the prices for all used and new DSLRs...even non- Canon. I wasn't even considering the R6 but it looks like it will get even more our of my L series glass. I think others will come to the same conclusion.

I think if I were you I would really look hard at the R. It's price will certainly fall. It gives you full frame and mirrorless in one purchase. You won't need another body for many years.

Oh, keep a crop sensor body. I can't emphasize that enough. I grab a crop body as often as a full frame. One is not better than the other. They address different missions.

Photoflyer does bring up a good point. The R is about to be picked up for a good price and if you get the adapter and the kit lens (the f/4.0), you will have a really good start.

But if you were already going to consider the 5D mk IV, I would also suggest considering the R6 that is about to come out. The specs on it seem really good and would be all you need for a hobbist for some time.

I am ready to step up from my 5D3 to the R5 as soon as I get some money and convince the wife.

I went with the 5DmkIV, but I quite often shoot in less than ideal circumstances, so the extra couple of stops of performance was what I was after. The vast majority of my focus is on landscapes, but I like shooting widlife too so I felt it was the best balance for me.

Most reactions

Back