5DII lens recommendations

Kwak12r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got the 5DII with the 24-105 f/4 L IS lens. Since I am moving into the full frame sensor, I want to ask what other lenses should I be looking for.
Currently I have (that can be used on the 5DII):

24-105 f/4 L IS (kit lens)
70-200mm f/4 L
50mm 1.4

I also have, for use on my 20D, EF-S 10-22mm and the kit EF-S 17-85mm

I mainly will be shooting landscape and general photography with the 5DII

Thanks!

17-40 f/4 L?

the 16-35 is the grandaddy of that range, but if you're not going prime and trying to stay at the lower-end of the L price scale, the 17-40's a good lens.

+1 on the 17-40mm f/4 L. I got one to replace my 10-20mm when I went FF. It's rated equally with the 16-35mm f/2.8 L which only gains you one stop of light. The 17-40 is half the price and weight.

I know a photographer who modified his EF-S 10-22 to fit full frame...it does vignette at the wide end...but the angle of view is super wide. He says that it's more flare resistant that either the 17-40 or the 16-35.

I know a photographer who modified his EF-S 10-22 to fit full frame...

I wonder what would be involved in something like that...

An EF-S lens will not physically mount up to a full frame body, and I think the rear element sticks into the body a little more than an EF lens. As long as the mirror didn't hit the rear element, I'd be willing to try it with my 18-55 kit lens.

Sounds like there would be some grinding on the lens involved... I haven't been able to see exactly what the difference between an EF and EF-S lens is - but the EF-S doesn't fit full frame, so they have to be different.

edit
http://daniel.nordling.nu/foto/EF-S-10D/
http://members.cox.net/byteseller/EFS-WEB/EFS-WEB.html

Last edited:
He said it was pretty easy, if I recall.

+2 on the 17-40 f/4L, I LOVE mine. I use it more than any other lens right now.

I had a friend's Sigma 10-20 on my 5DII last weekend. It didn't work. It's and EF mount lens, but even at 20mm the image circle doesn't cover the entire sensor.

I Might say if I was going to get my dream lenses, it would be Canon | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM AF Lens with LensCoat Lens Cover
and
Canon | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens | 7042A002 | B&H and Id pretty much be set. But since you already have the f4 versions (pretty much at least) I would think about going with a wider lens. Maybe even a wide prime. The other 2 would be nice but might not be worth the expense if you dont need the 2.8. Or maybe think about getting a specialty lens to play with like a macro or something.

I had a friend's Sigma 10-20 on my 5DII last weekend. It didn't work. It's and EF mount lens, but even at 20mm the image circle doesn't cover the entire sensor.
The Sigma 10-20 is specifically designed for APS-C sensors and therefore has a smaller image circle. I'm surprised it even fits on the camera. I thought it was an EF-S mount and haven't even bother trying mine on my camera.

The Sigma 10-20 is specifically designed for APS-C sensors and therefore has a smaller image circle. I'm surprised it even fits on the camera. I thought it was an EF-S mount and haven't even bother trying mine on my camera.

Nope. It's EF mount. I don't know that sigma makes any EF-S mount specific lenses. Some one said it works from 17-20mm on another forum and it doesn't.

Nope. It's EF mount. I don't know that sigma makes any EF-S mount specific lenses. Some one said it works from 17-20mm on another forum and it doesn't.
That's good to know.

I was looking for an even wider lens for my 5D2 and was looking at the Sigma. I think I'll just go with a 14mm Canon prime instead.

Most reactions

Back