6 second exposured in daylight

itsajoel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been trying to do daytime 6 sec exposures and they come out way too bright. Anyone have any tips on where the iso / aperture should be?

Is there any particular reason the exposure has to be 6 seconds?

You can make some really sweet cloud trails and fun effects with longer exposures during the day. 6 seconds is way too short, I talking more like 2-3 mins

Check out some Google search strings on the phrase 10 stop Neutral Density filter

Lee Big Stopper 10 stop ND v’s B+W 3.0 10 stop ND filter review pt1 Matt Lauder Landscape Photography

The really deep,dark 8,9,and 10-stop ND filters have sort of become the new thing...they really DO change the way scenes are rendered. In answer to the question, "Why a 6-second exposure?", the simplest answer would be, "Creative intent." With a long exposure, it's possible to radically alter the look of water, foliage, clouds, and to even remove an entire city street full of moving people. As long as an object is moving, during a long exposure, it will make a fairly faint image, and only when the object remains in one place will it be imaged clearly.

As has been said already. Lower the ISO to the lowest point, stop down as far as you can go within reason and load the lens with a stack of ND filters. You will need high quality ones to prevent image degradation. Also with all that glass on the front, keep it out of the sun or you will probably have flare and ghosting.

If you are trying to do cloud trails and swirls you might want to use a technique that I use for making long exposure star trails. Stop down your lens add some ND filters (in that case use a few ND filters to give you a few seconds) and then take tons of photos. Stack them in photoshop and if you use the right blending modes you will get a perfectly exposed image that will show the time lapse. In this case, each image will add a little to the previous. Works well for star trails and I have used this on water as well to blur the movement in bright conditions where I didn't enough ND's on hand. I am sure you could also do this with clouds.

Most reactions

Back