6d or 70d

The one word that decides the best camera (out of the two you listed) is "sports". You'll want the 70D. Faster FPS, faster max shutter speed, and it's cropped sensor. In my opinion the 6D is nothing more than a "let's see if noobs with too much money will actually buy this camera". The only real benefit the 6D has over the 70D is the GPS, and that's something only a few photographers would actually need. Get the 70D and put the rest of your money into fast lenses. That'll solve that low light problem.

The 6D is one of the best cameras for landscape astrophotography and many photographers who specialize in that swear by it. I realize that is a very specific area of photography but to say it's only a camera foolish and naive people buy is, well, wrong. If you are shooting sports you probably wouldn't be happy with the 6d but for landscapes in general it is a great camera

The overall conclusion is that even the 6D's full-frame sensor optimal for landscapes and portraits, the 70D is still the better all-around camera? What would I lose by going to the 70D's crop sensor vs. the 6D's full-frame?

Curious because I started photography to capture landscapes, now I'm branching out into other categories and would like to develop a "camera profile" for me (what type of camera would suit me?)

The overall conclusion is that even the 6D's full-frame sensor optimal for landscapes and portraits, the 70D is still the better all-around camera? What would I lose by going to the 70D's crop sensor vs. the 6D's full-frame?

Curious because I started photography to capture landscapes, now I'm branching out into other categories and would like to develop a "camera profile" for me (what type of camera would suit me?)

The 6D has noticeably better ISO performance with low noise -- by my estimate about 2 full stops better (and possibly a little tiny bit more.) E.g. the level of noise you'd see in an image taken with the 6D at ISO 12,800 is comparable to the amount of noise you'd see with a 70D taken at ISO 3200.

The 70D has a better focusing system (the 6D has an 11 point system with a center "cross type" point. the 70D has a 19 point system with all 19 cross-type points.) The 70D will be MUCH better at continuous focus during video (it pretty much beats everything on the market.) The 70D has a faster shooting speed as well. If you were doing action photography the 70D would win. But if doing low-light photography the 6D will win.

The 6D has noticeably better ISO performance with low noise -- by my estimate about 2 full stops better (and possibly a little tiny bit more.) E.g. the level of noise you'd see in an image taken with the 6D at ISO 12,800 is comparable to the amount of noise you'd see with a 70D taken at ISO 3200.

The 70D has a better focusing system (the 6D has an 11 point system with a center "cross type" point. the 70D has a 19 point system with all 19 cross-type points.) The 70D will be MUCH better at continuous focus during video (it pretty much beats everything on the market.) The 70D has a faster shooting speed as well. If you were doing action photography the 70D would win. But if doing low-light photography the 6D will win.

Sounds like a good time to wait for the 6D Mark II to be more in-line with the 70D ;).

Most reactions

Back