6MP Nikon DSLRs

Breaux

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mauricegatlin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a used Nikon DSLR (I have a bunch of old Nikon film accessories) and I think I probably only need 6MP. Is there a difference in image quality between the different Nikons in that MP range, or is the difference more in the options and build quality? Thanks.

Whats your budget? MP isn't the only thing to think about, if you've got old lenses some of them won't meter and almost all will probably not have working AF.

Nikon's have historically had less megapixels than Canon through comparable models. Usually it's a 1-2 megapixel difference, which is negligible. For what you'd use it for, I'd say 6MP is acceptable. I'm assuming you're looking at a D40?

Yes my lenses most likely won't meter or autofocus, but I've been photographing for decades without those things. I really just want them to mount.

I'm looking at the D40 and D70, and wondering if there's a reason to move up to the 10MP D60, which is also cheap on the used market.

Well, the cool thing about the D40 (despite its shortcomings tech wise) is you can do great stuff with the maximum x-sync speed and off camera flash.

6MP can be adequate but it's about the minimum threshold for much digital work.

Well, the cool thing about the D40 (despite its shortcomings tech wise) is you can do great stuff with the maximum x-sync speed and off camera flash.

As well the D70 will do this as well and it will work with older auto focus lenses as it has a built in lens drive motor the D40 does not.

Might also want to take into consideration, frame rate and speed of the processor in the Camera. D70 will probably be faster!

Which models in particular Breaux? I'd need to go refresh my memory at dpreview.

I'm looking to buy a used Nikon DSLR (I have a bunch of old Nikon film accessories) and I think I probably only need 6MP. Is there a difference in image quality between the different Nikons in that MP range, or is the difference more in the options and build quality? Thanks.

The D40 has 6 MP and can synchronize with Off camera flash at up to the TOP shutter speed.

The D40x has a 10MP sensor, but has flash synch limits. The D60 replaced the D40x.

The "baby Nikons" D40,D40x,D60,D3000,D5000 have no minimum aperture sensing pin, and no AI-coupler, so those "baby Nikons" can mount and shoot with ALL Nikkor lenses--even the pre-AI stuff.

The D70 and D70s have an in-body AF motor, but Can NOT mount pre-Ai lenses.

HOnestly, I think that if you want a 6MP NIkon, the D40 is the one to buy; it has Nikon 's newer, more-vivid imaging setup compared with the D70's rather dull SOOC image look.

Derrel - Thanks so much for that nice summary! I've been having a hard time figuring out (accurately) which bodies still mount the Pre-AI stuff. (So many choices, so many reviews, so many opinions! :() I've also considered just converting my old lenses to AI so I could quit worrying about that factor.

gsgary - Thanks! With my Nikon blinders on, I never heard of that camera! Back to dpreviews...

Most reactions

Back