7 From NYC for CC

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so it's been a long time since I have even touched my camera let alone post anything on here for CC. Recently, I got to oppurtunity to got to NYC for the first time ever (sad because I live in upstate NY). I figured I would share a few of what I have gotten through so far. CC totally welcome

197505.jpg

bh0qqp.jpg

28bvde1.jpg

rc8vhj.jpg

dy3ntx.jpg

xdbcl5.jpg

142h8vp.jpg

thanks!

My first thought is that you should use DOF more effectively to isolate your subjects. Open up that aperture.

I'm not sure on the settings I was using but I usually like to shoot wide open and it was pretty bright out those few days. I had an ND filter but in the city everything move to fast lol I just set it on aperture priority and went with it. The hardest one for me was the man eating the needles because it was dark out but he had very bright lights all around him. Thank you though

Sound like you need some prime lens action.

I use my 35 1.8 more than any lens I own. But I was unable to get everything in frame in the city so I was forced to use my kit lens a lot. The last shot was with the 35 though. I switched a few times but really needed the wider lens for a lot of stuff. Maybe I just need to get the 24-70 2.8 lol

I think the last one is strongest picture and should be black and white more then any of them :) can you post it in black and white?

I'm not sure on the settings I was using
Review your EXIF. Most were shot at f/4.5. Depending on the lens used, you could be shooting at f/1.8. You also will need to think about where your focus actually is placed in order to best isolate your subjects. Sometimes it's advantageous to focus just in front of your subjects to ensure the background will be thrown into OOF. The subject will generally still be okay and in focus, depending on the factors having to do with distance, lens length, sensor size etc. You can get a good handle on what to expect by reviewing DOF calculators like this one: Online Depth of Field Calculator . You can download DOF Calculator apps for your phone too, so that you have them handy in the field.

but I usually like to shoot wide open and it was pretty bright out those few days.
Simple fix for that: Faster shutter. Remember your exposure triangle.

I had an ND filter but in the city everything move to fast lol
At the risk of repeating: Faster shutter.

I just set it on aperture priority and went with it. The hardest one for me was the man eating the needles because it was dark out but he had very bright lights all around him. Thank you though
Aperture priority is a good choice, but you might want to choose the widest aperture you can in situations like these, again to isolate your subjects.

Thank you for your replies. Like I said, I usually shoot as wide as I can but the kit lens for the d7000 isn't that fast of a lens. I would have liked to use my 35 more but there is so much going on that that focal length wasn't working in many situations. Thank you though!

Most reactions

Back