70-200 f/2.8 zoom problem

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The zoom on my trusty 70-200 f/2.8 is stuck at 200mm. Its an older unit that I bought used quite a while ago and has always served me well until this started.
It was getting tight and now I can't move it by hand and I'm not trying any more. Other than the zoom being stuck, it continues to work fine.

I'm not sure but I suspect that -from the way I sometimes carry it and the blazing tropical sun- has caused sweat to get into the zoom ring and dry out.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it?

Any suggestions to free it up that don't involve sending it to a shop? That will be quite difficult from here and will be the last resort.

The zoom on my trusty 70-200 f/2.8 is stuck at 200mm. Its an older unit that I bought used quite a while ago and has always served me well until this started.
It was getting tight and now I can't move it by hand and I'm not trying any more. Other than the zoom being stuck, it continues to work fine.

I'm not sure but I suspect that -from the way I sometimes carry it and the blazing tropical sun- has caused sweat to get into the zoom ring and dry out.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it?

Any suggestions to free it up that don't involve sending it to a shop? That will be quite difficult from here and will be the last resort.
Sounds like a novel way to abuse a lens! I would not recommend an attempt to repair it yourself. That said, you may not make it any worse than it is. A professional repair could cost more than it's worth, even if it's a name brand, but I think I would try that first. Only you know what's most important to you.

is it the Canon or the Sigma?

is it the Canon or the Sigma?
Would the brand or mount make any significant difference as to what advice anyone may offer?

Would the brand or mount make any significant difference as to what advice anyone ?
Yep

they are structurally two different lenses.

the failure will occure differently in each and as a result the failing components will be diff.

Last edited:
Yep

they are structurally two different lenses.

the failure will occure differently in each and as a result the failing components will be diff.
My advice stands for Canon, Nikon, Sigma or Tamron (or any other brand that may be out there), regardless of what you pretend to the contrary.

didn't say that./

Taking apart any lens is trepidous.

But you asked what advice.
Depends on the brand.
if a Canon there are things if one is capable to do to look for.
A sigma a diff. bird.

What it sound to me is probably a jammed motor.

didn't say that./

Taking apart any lens is trepidous.

But you asked what advice.
Depends on the brand.
if a Canon there are things if one is capable to do to look for.
A sigma a diff. bird.

What it sound to me is probably a jammed motor.
Now I'm showing my ignorance - what 70-200 interchangeable lens has a zoom motor?

These:

Now GRANTED if your talking a push pull, then there will probably be a broken track wheel or some such in the lens barrel.

The older Canon Push Pull EOS design has a lock ring with a bazillion tiny ball bearings locked up in a simi-sealed barring that if it goes bad, will lock that puppy up tight!

Nikon is a wholly different beast.

These:

If you say so. But can you help the OP? What would you recommend he/she does?

I would send it in for servicing.
I would NOT try to open the lens, because I probably would not be able to get it put back together, properly. And I will likely have a few parts "left over."

If you have to separate any of the elements, you will need an optical bench to put it back together "properly."

Now I'm showing my ignorance - what 70-200 interchangeable lens has a zoom motor?

Good question. Certainly not mine.

I would send it in for servicing.
I would NOT try to open the lens, because I probably would not be able to get it put back together, properly. And I will likely have a few parts "left over."

If you have to separate any of the elements, you will need an optical bench to put it back together "properly."

I have no intention of disassembling it, I know there are skills and equipment required that I just don't have.
I was hoping to hear something like "...oh, just a little distilled water..." I was thinking of that but am afraid of the water getting on the glass and rendering the lens useless. It works fine right now, I just can't adjust the zoom. And, on top of that, it is probably the best lens I own so I don't want to risk hosing it totally.

One problem is I retired to Belize (I know..big problem!!) and things just don't work here like back in the US. I'll have to drive almost 2 hours one-way to get to a FedEx drop off and shipping will be hideously expensive. Getting it back is easier and less expensive but time consuming.

Most reactions

Back