What's new

70-200 - with IS or without?

Jethro

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
99
Reaction score
11
Location
Prague
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I am planning to get me a 70-200mm lens as soon as I'll put together some cash. It's going to be either Canon L or Sigma. What I am not sure about is wheter I should get a lense with IS or my Canon 7D will be fine with non IS lense. I shoot mainly people and sports (bikes) so if anyone has any experience of shooting moving things with one of those lenses without IS I would really appreciate your advice. Tyvm :)
 
The only time you really need IS is if you shoot it with slower shutter. The IS really makes the lens bulkier and heavier. I probably focus on more getting the 2.8 instead of 4. OR just buy 2.8 IS mk1.
 
Mk1 would probably be the bes option for me, though the problem is I really doubt I can get it in my country..I tried googling it and I didn't find many selling offers, and if, they are mostly for USA only :( So I guess I'll be looking for 2,8 without IS since I only shoot on slower shutter when I'm trying to do some panning and in that case I usually can get close enough to use my 17-70 which has IS. Tyvm for your advice! :)
 
I have shot hundreds of cars (panning) when I mistakenly shot them with IS on. I must have mistakenly switch it to off when it rubs off my leg (common problem). I did not notice a significant # of more bad photos.
Usagani Photography - Denver, CO | Favorites
 
IS is pretty useless in action photography. You cannot freeze action with the longer shutter speeds that IS gives you, so save yourself a ton of money.


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
I got the non-IS version and haven't missed it. While I shoot other types of photography than you, in my personal life I shoot my small kids and my dog zooming through a field - fast, constant action. No problem.
 
Do you have a telephoto lens you use for sport at the moment? If so, browse through your photo library and check the shutter speed you usually use. Calculate what it would be if you had an f/2.8 lens. It should make the decision easier.
 
IS is valuable for panning at slower speeds. Really helps quell that up-and-down movement that ruins slow-speed panning shots. As far as a 70-200 f/2.8--my advice is make it a Canon, not a Sigma. And if you shoot Nikon, make it a Nikon, not a Sigma. The single biggest differences between the Sigma 70-200's and the Canon and Nikon models, in test after test, seems to come down to three absolutely critical areas. 1) Better optical quality in one,two,or three metrics with the lens wide-open with the camera-maker lenses, which are more expensive. 2) Faster autofocusing with the camera maker lenses; with the Tamron 70-200 for example, its focus is dog-slow compared to a Canon L-series or a gold-ring Nikkor 70-200 and 3) HUGE resale advantage for the camera-maker lenses over the 3rd party lenses. With the 3rd party makers like Sigma most specifically, recently trying to DOUBLE, or more, their retail prices on higher-end lenses, it now makes little sense to buy a 3rd party lens because the original price is so high and because the depreciation on the used market is so rapid with the 3rd party lenses.

I love panning. I have shot a lot of pans without stabilization, and now, in the 2000's, WITH stabilization. I personally feel that Nikon's auto-sensing, dual-mode VR is the best system for panning ever invented. The Canon Mode 1, Mode 2 system is a bit less handy, but it works well on my 70-200 2.8 L-IS, which is the 'original' model, and not the new Mark II model. Not sure, but I thought Canon updated their IS system to an auto-sensing, auto-switching system similar to what Nikon uses in its Mark II 70-200 version; regardless, I honestly believe that lens-based stabilization is the BEST thing to ever happen for people who like to do slow-speed panning shots. The ratio of keepers to duds now that we have stabilized telephotos and zooms is much more favorable than it ever was in the 80's and 90's when doing slow-speed panning shots.

A 70-200/2.8 is a workhorse lens that should last 10 to 15 years, or more. If the lens is decidedly poor at f/2.8, it's a waste of money. The newer Canon and newer Nikkor 70-200 top-line models really kick the a$$ of the 3rd party lenses at f/2.8
 
IS - good!

I guess the companies know their best lenses and keep the prices as high as possible.

Don't know how much the canon lens weighs but

the 70 -200mm f2.8 nikon's VR version is worth the backache to lug the sukka around. The straight 2.8 f is really prime for creamy backgrounds.

Another nice vr lens I use for birds 70 - 300mm (not a straight through f)
Lots of zoom, a lot lighter, not many creamy backgrounds.
 
I have the IS version and it comes in handy for motion shots and when recording video, if you will be doing any of these go for IS.
 
Thank you guys, you helped me a lot :) I guess I'll go for the non-IS then, since paying + 1000$ or even more for something that isn't crucial for me just doesn't make sense. And thank you Derrel for making the desicion between Canon and Sigma easier :) So now I'm just going to find me some moneybox and start saving up ^^
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom