What's new

70-210 f/4

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
6
Location
Athens, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking into replacing my 55-200 lens and found the 70-210 f/4. I wanted something a little faster but the 80-200 f/2.8 is out of my range.

So do you guys think that the 70-210 is better than the 55-200? I've never used one so I was wondering how the AF compares. I would need it to be just fast enough for sports.

Or would you recommend saving for a while to get a 80-200 f/2.8?
 
I would definitely save a while for the 80-200 2.8 if you are going to be thinking about shooting anything low light. You will really appreciate the fact that you got a 2.8 lens. Since you will be shooting at fast shutter speeds if it's sports then you wouldn't really need VR like in the 70-200 2.8. GL with your choice.
TJ
 
IIRC, that lens was only made for about 18 months begining in 1986.

It is a constant aperture lens so you would have f/4 all the way to 210 mm, which is better than you have now at 200 mm and you're not giving up anything at 70 mm. That means it would be an improvement over your 55-200.

However, it would only be a 1 stop improvement at the long end.

I would suggest going for the the 70-210 now,only if it's priced right, since it has to be 20+ years old. I would continue saving for an 80-200 f/2.8 with the expectation that the 70-210 f/4 will be sold to recoup the dollars tied up in it.
 
Anyone know how the autofocus speeds compair?
 
Anyone know how the autofocus speeds compair [sic]?
How fast it will AF depends on which of your camera bodies you use, since there is no auto focus motor in the lens. Neither does the 80-200 f/2.8. Draw your own conclusions.

The D1X is the fastest auto focusing digital body Nikon has made so far.
 
I would use it with my D2H mainly and I was trying to see the speed between the 55-200 and 70-210 f/4. But if I understand you, they will be the same because they use my cameras motor?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom