710 & 105 Interstate Exchange

I

Iron Flatline

Shot in the LA River, in the middle of the heat and bright light... not perfect for photography, but the only time I could find to get into the river itself.

Shot with a Canon 1Ds Mk III and a 24mm TS-E f/3.5 L lens. These have received no real processing yet (except from the RAW file to JPG), pretty much straight out of the camera. Once I get back to Germany to my home computer they will receive a lot of love, and then be printed big :redwine:

2827478768_1e5a18d2f2_o.jpg

2827478742_2c68b70fbc_o.jpg

2826641233_795e310560_o.jpg

2827478688_c1bfc7cc55_o.jpg

Usually, I am not too keen on so-called 'urbanscapes' but I really enjoyed looking at those. I like the simple compositions with a lot of strong clean lines. I think number 2 is not as strong as the others; the powerlines and the bike detracts from the uncluttered look of the other pictures (just my opinion). I think the harsh lighting and cloudless sky suit the subject very well and complement the harsh look of the concrete. I think that is a great start in your new photographic endeavour.

Just out of curiosity and on a more technical note, how much tilt/shift (if any) did you use for those pictures?

very nice. as said above, strong compositions.
i like the bike in the second one.

Thanks for your comments.

Steph, there was considerable shift in most of them - the lens has 12mm shift in each direction, and I was probably at 8mm for #1, 2, and 4.

#3 was shot hand-held with a Canon 5D and a 24-70mm f/2.8 at around 60mm.

I have each shot with and without bike - I put it in to give it proportion and a sense of scale. I would have preferred an abandoned shopping cart, but somehow this was the only place in the entire LA River where there weren't any. Go figure.

The first & last are my favorites. As mentioned, the clean lines are great as they lead the eye though the image and back again. If they were mine, I'd process them to get really dark blue skies.

1 and 4 are very nice. A TS would be great to have. Did you climb a fence to get down in there?

Thanks all for your comments.

Yes, we climbed a wall about a mile down river, lifted our bikes over, then lowered our photogear. It was a small access ladder about 4 feet up, and then 10 feet down on the river side.

... a mile further we found level access to the bike path. That made me feel silly... :)

EDIT: You can actually see the wall in the last shot. At one part it just has a little metal railing at this point in the river.

Most reactions