74-300mm for a wedding? Gear in general

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so my friends cousins are getting married and thsi is both their 3rd marrige so it isn't as big as to hire a professional so they asked my friend if they know any up and coming photogs who want to have product to add to their portfolio. The wedding is about 1 1/2 motnhs away so I'm starting to do research and see as to what gear I need.

I have the rebel k2 kit lens (28-90) and a 50mm 1.8

So I am wondering what I need to buy. The entire reception and ceremony will be on a boat at night so I'm ex[ecting low light.

I am going to sell my sigma flash and get a canon 430ex because my sigma is old and it dosn't tell me exposure so i have to guess at that which is no good

So I'm thinking of this sigma 28-70 f/2.8 so with my flash that should handle the light well
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...592&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

will i have a problem with not having anything longer than 90mm?

I also need to get a portable card reader hard drive data storage thing so if anyone has any suggestions on that?

I know I asked alot in this thread so any info you might have on anythign would be great thank you

So I'm thinking of this sigma 28-70 f/2.8 so with my flash that should handle the light well
Pretty good lens, look used and also look at the 28-75 2.8 Tamron. Very popular wedding lens.

will i have a problem with not having anything longer than 90mm?
Not unless it's a big ass boat.:D You should be fine.

I also need to get a portable card reader hard drive data storage thing so if anyone has any suggestions on that?
Why not just more memory cards or use a laptop? I would get more memory.

One other thing to look at is a diffuser for the flash. If your on deck, you won't be able to bounce it.

KevinR said:
Why not just more memory cards or use a laptop? I would get more memory.
You must have too much money. GB for GB, that's the most expensive 'storage method'. With a good PSD (Portable Storage Device) you need only 2 good cards: you shoot on the one while the full other one is downloading to the PSD. That way you can shoot 20GB worth of images on that wedding (if you're really fast...). Continuous shooting. Because weddings don't wait for the photographer!
One other thing to look at is a diffuser for the flash. If your on deck, you won't be able to bounce it.
Yes you will, if you have a [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM"]bounce card[/ame].

Are you shooting with the K2 (film) or the 350D (digital) ?

If you are using the digital version of the Rebel...you may need something much wider than 24 or 28mm. You can't always back up when you are on a boat. Look for something that starts at 17 or 18mm.

i'll agree with big mike. also, w.smith, even though memory cards cost more, your much less likely to lose images than with a portable storage device. its more convienient to not have to mess with that crap when you could just put in another card also.

and nobody thats not shooting video needs that much space anyways. (unless they are shooting with a digital back, which they aren't)

I have good glass, f/1.8 and have been in places where even that isn't fast enough, if your selling your flash i would immediatly invest in a new one.

You must have too much money. GB for GB, that's the most expensive 'storage method'. With a good PSD (Portable Storage Device) you need only 2 good cards: you shoot on the one while the full other one is downloading to the PSD.

I really disagree with this thinking. With the possibility of murphy's law. Having the images on seperate cards are a much safer alternative. And with the price of memory cards these days, it is not that much more.

I'll agree with that as well. A PSD would be good for backup...but there is no way that I would delete or write over a card at a wedding.

Big Mike said:
I'll agree with that as well. A PSD would be good for backup...but there is no way that I would delete or write over a card at a wedding.

Thats my policy as well. Memory is cheap compared to a Ticked off bride when you loose her special day.

Ok then I guess I'll look into some larger cards insted of the hard drive.

I have this home made bouncer/difusser it works both ways which I really love which should fit the 430 when i get it. With the lens and flash cost if I dont have that much extra money for the mem cards I do have a laptop which i could bring if need be.

I was thinking of bringing my k2 but mainly shoot with my rebel so if I really need the wide shot I can switch to film

Thanks guys appreciate all the feedback

Ideally a wedding photog has backups for everything. Flashgun, cards, batteries, and for the camera too. The K2 can double in that role as well. Take enough film!

Most reactions

Back