7D body, 1st lens recomendation please!!

Annaminnnie2010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I've decided to buy the Canon 7D body, what do you think I should get as my first lens?

I was thinking the EF 50mm f/ 1.8 as it's only about $120, or do you think I should go for the 1.4. I just don't understand the difference?

I also want to buy a fish eye, I saw the ef 15mm F/ 2.8 takes amaizing photos, but should I bother with a such an expensive lens if I don't have a full frame camera? I am new to the whole dslr world so I don't understand the full frame differnece, a friend tryed explaining but i just dont get it!?:blushing:

I will mainly be taking photos of people (make up before and afters), events (again people), night time, and creative photography again mainly people and animals.

Also what is a good general lens that is really affordable. I can borrow a friends 18 -55mm, should I get my own of the same or is 18-85mm better?

What is a good lens just for general photography? I'am going on a holiday soon and also I've got a few weddings to go to in october, and my friend asked if I would take some amateur photos for her along size with the pro photographer.

Hi there, I've decided to buy the Canon 7D body, what do you think I should get as my first lens?
<snip>
Also what is a good general lens that is really affordable.
<snip>

My recommendation is to go with a more affordable body and put the difference into a better lens. 7D with cheap lenses isn't the way to go.

For about the same price as the 7D + some crap lens, you can get a rebel T2i + EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

Don't get me wrong.. the 50mm f/1.8 is a good start (shoot mostly primes) but most people these days think of zooms when they think "general" lens.

What is your budget?

If you are tight in budget, you maybe better off getting a camera body that cost less and use the extra money to buy a better lens.

Light ---(entering lens)---> Bad Lens ---(bad image)---> pro DSLR camera sensor
So the pro camera is able to capture every single details of the BAD image

Light ---(entering lens)---> Good Lens ---(good image)---> consumer DSLR camera sensor
So the consumer camera is able to capture detail image of a GOOD image.

So which setup can produce a better photograph at the end?

If you just want to buy a lens and start learning, the kit lens 18-55mm IS lens is not a bad choice. If you do not want to upgrade the lens anytime soon, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a good choice. (Quality lens for lower cost)

Of course, Canon have few other good lens that cost more such as EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM and 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM are pretty good.

As for EF 50mm f/1.8 II vs EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
f/1.4 version is better because ...
- Better build quality
- Metal mount instead of plastic
- Fast autofocus (AF)
- Less AF noise
- More aperture blades => better bokeh look
- Has distance scale
- Full time manual focus and the manual focus ring is better (the one in f/1.8 II is located in the front of the lens and is tiny)

But, the f/1.8
- Cost less
- A little bit lighter (due to cheaper build)
- Smaller filter size (bigger filter cost more)

If you are planning to shoot wedding in the future, maybe choose a lens that is Canon USM. Someone mentioned it in the past that camera AF noise may draw some attentions during the wedding ceremony.

EDIT: arrhhhhh I need to type faster next time.

Im with usayit.

But if you really do want the 7D, I would get something similar to my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. But really.. If I had the money to buy a 7D.. I would just go all out and buy a 5D mk2.

7d + canon 17-55mm f/2.8 + tokina 10-17mm fisheye

I hope you're ready to drop over $3,000...

If you are only ready to spend $1500, I'd get the 50d + tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Get the 7D + 50mm 1.8 (excellent lens and you can upgrade anytime) + 17-40mm L lens. The 50mm is good for low light. The 17-40mm will cover you in most situations. I hope it helps.

Or you can spend only $1250 and go with Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC (which i have and reccomend) and the Tokina 10-17mm fish-to super wide lens!

Or you can spend only $1250 and go with Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC (which i have and reccomend) and the Tokina 10-17mm fish-to super wide lens!

that's just the cost of the lenses. He doesn't even have a body yet.

I would say buy a cheaper body. A 50D body can be had for under 800 on ebay. Then I would also recommed a 17-40L used at about 600-650. Cheaper than a 7D kit and MUCH better suited to your needs. You can always add the 50mm 1.8 and still come out ahead.

For about the same price as the 7D + some crap lens, you can get a rebel T2i + EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

Don't get me wrong.. the 50mm f/1.8 is a good start (shoot mostly primes) but most people these days think of zooms when they think "general" lens.

Thanks! I got the T2i / canon 550D 18-55mm kit.... Now I need to start looking at more lenses!

Most useful lens for a good price. Tamron 17-50/2.8. I absolutely love that lens and use it 80% of the time. You can get it for about 400 now. They also have a newer one with VR, I wished mine had it a few times but for the most part I don't really need it so you should be just fine with the older one like I use.

I also have the tamron. It's the best bang for the buck lens I have, I think. If you want to get 2 lenses, get the 50mm f/1.8 also. You can get it for under $100, and it is very handy to have if you like shooting real low light stuff.

welcome to the canon club!

Thank you for the Tamron suggestion! I will look into that too. and the 50mm 1.8 (s cheap $, i can't believe it!) I was told 1.4 is better but it's so much more expensive.

Most reactions

Back