Derrel...
I would like to ask you in all fairness to acknowledge that the image that Matt posted is very low noise for Iso-3200, especially on a 1.6 body. I know it really is 3200 because I pulled the exif data on it.
To be honest even I am a little surprised by how clean it is. The professional reviews that I have read have all said that the 7D has good high Iso performance.
Heres a quote from the dpreview 7D review - pg. 30. under "Image Quality":
Canon EOS 7D Review: 30. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review
"Despite the highest nominal resolution of all APS-C DSLRs and therefore a very small pixel-pitch the EOS 7D performs very well in low light situations and manages to maintain a good balance between image detail and noise reduction up to very high sensitivities. It's visibly better than the EOS 50D and as good as it gets in the APS-C class (if you prefer the 7D or Nikon D300S in this respect is probably a matter of taste). If you require significantly better high ISO performance than the EOS 7D can provide, your only option is to move into the full-frame segment."
So we have seen a pic from Matt showing very low noise, and the professional reviews say this as well.
I have to wonder if you are just making this stuff up as you go LOL.
I know you are very knowledgeable about photography, and I respect you greatly. I think that you really need to let this 7D thing go though...
I also own the 7D and 70-200 2.8 IS II as you know, and it is simply a superb combo in my opinion. You can shoot super wide, and then crop down (often to actual pixels) and still have useable images. The resolution and detail that the combo provides is simply class leading. The D300s cant compete in this area for obvious reasons.
It is in fact true that the 7D requires good glass, but as long as you know that going in its not a problem. This is something that is easily learned simply by reading reviews, and forums.
I know for a fact that the 7D is the best, or the 2nd best crop camera on the market today. Which one (7D or D300s) depends on your personal preference because they are so damn close.
You may think that this doesnt mean much, but it does because not everybody can afford a FF body.
Also I had EF-S lenses, and that was a reason for me to go from the 30D to the 7D, and not 5D mk II.