85 f/1.8 on 40D

No worries. I think everyone knew what you meant. I did not want to be a jacka$$ and try to correct your terminology when it really did not have any bearing on the question.

Enjoy whichever one you get. They are both great lenses. I will get the 85 soon myself but I bumped it down the list a little since I want the 100mm F2.8L IS now. :(

I have the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM and an EOS 40D. This lens doesn't get as much use as my other lenses. As others have stated, the 85mm focal length is long for indoor shooting with the 1.6X field of view crop factor. It's also challenging to nail the focus just right when the depth of field is so shallow. When I do manage to get the shot right, it's amazing that the wide aperture can gather so much light, but it seems to take a lot more concentration, skill or luck on my part than when I'm shooting with a narrower aperture.

These are small fish, but notice that the whole fish isn't in focus at the same time.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/JustAnEngineer/Aquarium/IMG_4898.jpg

I really recommend the 85mm f1.8, I use it a LOT more than my 50mm, the extra reach is very much appreciated and the extra DOF makes the subject really pop, I was amazing how much thinner the DOF is with 85mm @ f1.8 vs. 50mm @ f1.8, realy a big difference in my book, more than worth the money

I have the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8 along with a handful of assorted zooms. Probably 50% of my shots are with the 85mm, 40% with the 50mm and the remaining 10% with the several zooms. I use the zooms so infrequently that I expect to sell one this weekend and another fairly soon and I'll keep only one.

I really recommend the 85mm f1.8, ...the extra DOF makes the subject really pop, I was amazing how much thinner the DOF is with 85mm @ f1.8 vs. 50mm @ f1.8, realy a big difference in my book, more than worth the money

And, for the sort of work that Alisha is doing, (I really like your work with kids... very nice), she will want to work with something more like f5.6 or f8, or she risks them moving into and out of focus. With the 50mm (which she already has), the background will start to come into focus.

Maximum aperture is not always the answer.

And, again, there's the problem with bringing more of the background into the scene with a shorter lens.

-Pete

Ahh. I see your point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back