85L focus by wire...

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think I like it. When I first got the lens a couple days ago, I thought it was weird. There are a couple drawbacks but nothing major. And the focus ring feels so sexy! LOL The only thing that I don't like is not being able to retract the lens once removed from the camera.

What are your thoughts about it? And why did Canon use this system? Advantages? (it seems like a really fine adjustment to me:D) Just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on this focus system.

The 1.2 aperture is a blast to fool around with. Cannot wait for a break in the weather to do some outdoor portraiture....the cat can't wait either. LOL

razorthin.jpg

I didn't even know about the different focus system on that lens...interesting.

As soon as you touch the focus ring... you'll know... lol The darn thing spins loose as heck and scares a few people for a few seconds but it is an awesome lens!

I didn't even know about the different focus system on that lens...interesting.

It is interesting, and I like it more and more all the time. This lens appears to have very accurate autofocus from the hundered or so images I have taken with it.

As soon as you touch the focus ring... you'll know... lol The darn thing spins loose as heck and scares a few people for a few seconds but it is an awesome lens!

LOL, I don't know if I'd say loose as heck, but you can defineatly tell its not coupled to the lens group. Its different, but a joy to use after a bit. It is an awesome lens Jerry, its hard to deny that. If it only cost 300 bucks it would be perfect! :lmao:

I love mine. What gives me the willies is the rear element being flush with the back of the mount ring.

All I know is that when sitting on it's rear, facing up, it looks almost like a coffee mug. :lol:

This is what I mean, sorry for the shallow depth of field, it's dark in my office.

580438721_HZV6k-L.jpg

This to me is the only reason I wold ever consider Canon...there 1.2 lenses. ;)

Do you mean the fact that you can't use manual focusing without the camera (being on)?

I can live with that. It's destined to be my next lens... :drool:

Do you mean the fact that you can't use manual focusing without the camera (being on)?

I can live with that. It's destined to be my next lens... :drool:

Correct, the lens has to have power to it.

Nikon has to catch up w/ regards to Canon primes, instead of releasing a 35 1.8 for D40s, how about an 85 1.4 update for real cameras.:er: Somewhat kidding.

This to me is the only reason I wold ever consider Canon...there 1.2 lenses. ;)

Then that would be a bad reason to choose Canon, if it was the only one. The difference between F/1.4 and F/1.2 is 1/3rd of a stop. That is near invisible to the naked eye. My Nikon D700/85mm F/1.4 combination rivals anything that the 5D mkII 85mm 1.2 from my mentor does shooting the exact same scene, same conditions, same lighting same subject at the same time. Both give stunning results.

In the 50mm range, the Canon 50 1.2 vs Nikon's 50 1.4, it is close but the Canon wins. Swap that Nikon 50 1.4 to the Sigma 50 1.4 and the edge goes to the Nikon, but it is so small that honestly, you are being so anal retentive, farts come out at 18,000hz. :lol:

If you choose Canon, choose it for the better skin tones, the wider assortment of lenses and becuase it's ergonomics fit you better than the Nikon, else choose the Nikon for the better ergonomics, superior integrated wireless flash and better low noise at higher ISO.

Canon and Nikon today are so darn close, you'd better have a VERY specific need that one answers that the other doesn't to make a choice... and a 1.2 lens... is not that point. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back