85mm: too close??

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by JaimeGibb, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well... Not exactly. At least that's not what I'm saying.

Before digital, I always used a "twice normal" focal length whenever possible.

kundalini mentioned outdoor settings. I would use a 180mm on my RB for family group sessions. That lens would be double the "normal" focal length for that format. Shooting at f 8, it achieved very nice separation from the background giving the image a deep look.

2. Jeepin59

Jeepin59 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If after you keep it a while and then decide to trade it in you could also check out the 30mm lens. I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which I like very much. It is about as close to a 50mm film lens as you can get. It also has a nice lens hood for head butts!! Its quite hefty and I think you will come out ahead until the terrible twos.

3. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a nice lens... equates to about 47mm on a digital body.

Used it for the first time today at school.. awesome low light performance and its sharp enough for use wide open IMO.... i dont plan on blowing pics up past 10X8 anyway

4. JaimeGibb

JaimeGibb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback!! Does anyone know WHY it's zoomed in so close? Does that have to do with the focal length? Is there a lens with the same aperture that would be further zoomed out?

5. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The longer the focal length the more "zoomed in" it will feel. The 50mm f1.8 I mentioned would feel more zoomed out for sure if you tend to be really close you might want to go with something like a 24mm or a 30mm. The 50mm would be your most economical though.

6. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In that respect, it's all about focal length. Most short(ish) focal length prime lenses will stop down somewhere between f/1.8 to f/2.0 without breaking the bank.

If possible, you can take a memory card, go to your local photo shop and test drive various lenses. Get home and see what you see on your monitor. This should help give you an idea of what each focal length will/will not give you.

7. lextalionis

lextalionis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thinking more about photographing youngsters running about the house...I might take Fate's suggestion and try the Sigma 30mm 1.4. The key for shooting around the house is a fast lens. No doubt the 85mm 1.8 is a pretty fast lens and far better at portraits than the 30mm. Personally I think the 85mm on a cropped sensor is perfect for portraits. You're not expecting to let your youngsters pose well enough to take a professional portrait right? I have 3 young boys and I find myself shooting close quarters with my 17-55 2.8 IS and my 70-200 f/4 when they are running about on the park playground.

-Roy

8. JaimeGibb

JaimeGibb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, I use them as my test subjects for portraits. I am trying to break in to portrait photography. I use back drops with them, the whole deal. I just feel like I can't get a good portrait of a baby with that lens because I have to go too far away from them, ya know? And what about when I start doing on-location shots in peoples homes? What if they don't have the room for me to back up that far?

9. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well then having the 50mm would be a good thing.

10. Rhubarb

Rhubarb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, and the 50mm 1.8 is very affordable. So keep your 85mm and add the 50mm to your collection and then you can choose depending on the situation you find yourself in.

I have the 50mm and saving for the 85mm :)

11. JaimeGibb

JaimeGibb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice...ok so what is the difference between the 85mm and the 50mm? Like, if I am using the 50mm, what circumstance would make me want to switch and put on my 85mm? Im sorry I keep asking so many questions, but you guys have helped me out MORE than you know!!

12. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

When you have more room you might want the 85mm.