85mm: too close??

Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback!! Does anyone know WHY it's zoomed in so close? Does that have to do with the focal length? Is there a lens with the same aperture that would be further zoomed out?

The longer the focal length the more "zoomed in" it will feel. The 50mm f1.8 I mentioned would feel more zoomed out for sure if you tend to be really close you might want to go with something like a 24mm or a 30mm. The 50mm would be your most economical though.

Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback!! Does anyone know WHY it's zoomed in so close? Does that have to do with the focal length? Is there a lens with the same aperture that would be further zoomed out?

In that respect, it's all about focal length. Most short(ish) focal length prime lenses will stop down somewhere between f/1.8 to f/2.0 without breaking the bank.

If possible, you can take a memory card, go to your local photo shop and test drive various lenses. Get home and see what you see on your monitor. This should help give you an idea of what each focal length will/will not give you.

Thinking more about photographing youngsters running about the house...I might take Fate's suggestion and try the Sigma 30mm 1.4. The key for shooting around the house is a fast lens. No doubt the 85mm 1.8 is a pretty fast lens and far better at portraits than the 30mm. Personally I think the 85mm on a cropped sensor is perfect for portraits. You're not expecting to let your youngsters pose well enough to take a professional portrait right? I have 3 young boys and I find myself shooting close quarters with my 17-55 2.8 IS and my 70-200 f/4 when they are running about on the park playground.

-Roy

Actually, I use them as my test subjects for portraits. I am trying to break in to portrait photography. I use back drops with them, the whole deal. I just feel like I can't get a good portrait of a baby with that lens because I have to go too far away from them, ya know? And what about when I start doing on-location shots in peoples homes? What if they don't have the room for me to back up that far?

Well then having the 50mm would be a good thing.

Yep, and the 50mm 1.8 is very affordable. So keep your 85mm and add the 50mm to your collection and then you can choose depending on the situation you find yourself in.

I have the 50mm and saving for the 85mm :)

Nice...ok so what is the difference between the 85mm and the 50mm? Like, if I am using the 50mm, what circumstance would make me want to switch and put on my 85mm? Im sorry I keep asking so many questions, but you guys have helped me out MORE than you know!!

Like, if I am using the 50mm, what circumstance would make me want to switch and put on my 85mm?

Say... if you have a person or persons in front of your camera. That would be a good time to reach for the 85mm.

Think of it this way: With you format (camera) [I'm presuming you do not have a "full frame" sensor], the NORMAL focal length is approximately 40mm. So anything shorter than that can be considered as "wide angle" and anything longer than that can be considered as "telephoto."

There are FIXED FOCAL LENGTH lenses (often times referred to as "prime" lenses), and there are variable focal length lenses which are called ZOOM lenses.

A lens is also described by it's maximum aperture. So the lens you are questioning is a FIXED FOCAL LENGTH, TELEPHOTO lens with a maximum aperture of f 1.8, which is considered to be pretty "bright" or "fast" for a lens of that length.

The brighter (or faster) the lens, the less light needed to make a proper exposure. ALSO... the wider the aperture you use, the SHALLOWER the depth of field you achieve. So, with your 85mm... shooting wide open at f 1.8, you will have very shallow depth of field.

Personally, I feel f 1.8 is not a good choice for shooting kids... or groups... or most portraits. I would choose something between f 4 and f 8, favoring the smaller end of this range.

Kids move. With a very shallow depth of field, it's likely they will move into and out of acceptable focus. And when posing groups, the subject will likely be too deep to shoot at anything brighter than f 5.6 or f 8.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Oh... I wanted to add that, on your camera, the 50mm is considered to be a short TELEPHOTO lens, which is a great choice for candids. It would also be fine for full length or group portraits, especially when space is limited.

The last time I took baby pictures--a two-day old--I used a 35mm lens. I don't like using a flash with babies so a faster--prime--is desireable. For some portrait work I use a 50mm, for some a 77mm, and for some--usually outdoors--a zoom.

One consideration is how comfortable the subject is with your getting close. I saw a man standing about two feet from someone taking a photo and the subject was clearly upset. On the other hand, if you want a shot that has rapport with the subject, standing 35ft. away can be a problem.

Keep the lens awhile and play around. See what you like and how it works--for you. You might also do some portrait work with a zoom--good light--and then review the shots and see what focal length you tended to use most often.

50mm 1.4 plus 1.4 tc, sounds strange but works a treat, the best of both worlds, in low light keep it at f2 for both combinations, as 1.4 is just a bit to shallow for enough keepers on the 50mm and f2 75mm is still pdg for longer telephoto portraits. It costs less than a 85mm 1.8, is more flexable and I think gives more pleasing focal lengths. just mo 0.2c

tim

tim

Hopefully this can clarify prime focal lengths a little. All shots taken at f/4. Camera to subject distance is 42".

---------------35mm--------------------------------------50mm---------------------------------85mm-----------
DSC_8583_edited-1.jpg
DSC_8594_edited-1.jpg
DSC_8603_edited-1.jpg

Apologies for the subject matter. :lol:

BTW, no cropping or processing - straight out of the camera, just resizing for web.

Most reactions

Back