What's new

85mm vs 100mm on a crop sensor

xsouthpawed

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
So i'm thinking of getting a new prime... 85mm or 100mm?
Main use is gonna be indoors stuff: sports, dances, heck. parties?
I shoot for yearbook. Usin my 7D.. so crop sensor.

I already have a 70-200mm f/4 but sometimes/alot of the times it's not wide enough... and i certainly don't have money for one of those fancy 28-70 2.8's.. So I was wondering which would be better?

and are there any good wide angle lens (inlcudin primes) that don't cost more than 500$?

Sorry for the two questions in one :P
And thank you in advance!
 
28-70mm f2.8L isnt fancy. It is an old lens. 24-70mm f2.8L is a newer one but it is also old. 24-70mm is much sharper than the 28-70mm. If I were you, I would be saving my money for that. Once you have that, there is no reason to keep your 28-105 and 28-135.
 
So i'm thinking of getting a new prime... 85mm or 100mm?
Main use is gonna be indoors stuff: sports, dances, heck. parties?
I shoot for yearbook. Usin my 7D.. so crop sensor.

I already have a 70-200mm f/4 but sometimes/alot of the times it's not wide enough... and i certainly don't have money for one of those fancy 28-70 2.8's.. So I was wondering which would be better?

and are there any good wide angle lens (inlcudin primes) that don't cost more than 500$?

Sorry for the two questions in one :P
And thank you in advance!

You realize that your 70-200 is wider than both the 85 and the 100, and therefore your reason for buying it makes no sense. Why not get a 50 1.8 and save yourself some cash? Especially for dances and parties, an 85 isn't going to be wide enough.

Or even a 35mm would be good.

Personally I'd get a sigma 17-50 2.8, but thats me.
 
You realize that your 70-200 is wider than both the 85 and the 100, and therefore your reason for buying it makes no sense. Why not get a 50 1.8 and save yourself some cash? Especially for dances and parties, an 85 isn't going to be wide enough.
I think the OP is asking two separate questions...I was a bit confused about it as well.

To the OP,
You have a 50mm prime and a 70-200mm....so what are you looking for in an 85mm or 100mm prime? The 70-200mm F4 is one of the sharpest zoom lenses around, so if you want better image quality with a prime, it would likely have to be one of the L primes.

If you just want something faster, that's understandable, but your 50mm F1.4 is pretty good in that department.

As for a wider angle lens, there are plenty of options. I'd suggest the 17-50mm F2.8 from Tamron. They have two versions; with VC and without (their version of IS). The VC version is more than $500 and the non-VC should be less.

You can also get a 24-70mm F2.8 from either Sigma or Tamron, probably around the $500 price range.
 
I'd go with the 85mm f/1.8 EF lens...it's pretty good for indoor events.
 
You have given no reason to get an 85 or a 100. You say you have a 70-200 and it isnt wide enough.

Why you thinking 85 or 100?

Otherwise, yeah, get a wide zoom.

I like the Tokina 11-16, but that is way wide probably for your needs, to see what kind of shots the Tokina takes on a Nikon D90, which is also crop sensor, see What draws attention in a glamour photograph? | Cultured Woman, LLC

Also, look at pictures you like to take then find out what lenses were used to take THAT Kind of photo.
 
sorry guys!
I guess i probably should have posted two threads..

anyways, Here's my attempt to clarify..

"Problem" #1: While shooting indoors (gym w/ not so great lighting) my 50mm isn't long enough, and my 70-200 isn't fast enough =\ There's a rule about not being able to shoot at the end lines which drives me nuts.

"Problem" #2: I don't like the 28-135mm all that much. (this is the wide-angle one, I'm hoping to get this to be my new walkaround lens) Outdoors it's not so bad, but the variable aperture becomes a pain indoors.

@Schwettylens- sorry I meant the 24-70.. the new one that costs like $1200 or something.

My main concern or rather fear of the sigma is a spotty AF / getting a lemon.

again sorry for the huge confusion
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom