911 C&C please!

Lightroom won't make up for a imprecisely shot image.Using auto mode the camera did a midrange exposure between the sky and the dark car and neither was correct. You have no detail in the front of the car and the sky has no detail anyway. Given a choice with that type of sky I would have exposed for the car since it is the subject.

In auto it will underexposed a dark car by two stops

It looks like you used a gradient on the sky but got the car's green house (glass of the passenger compartment) in the gradient, making it darker (muddy) compared to the rest of the car.

For some kinds of edits Lightroom sucks because Lightroom lacks precise selection tools and has no layers capability.

KmH said:
For some kinds of edits Lightroom sucks because Lightroom lacks precise selection tools and has no layers capability.

Totally agreed. I only use Lightroom for batch color correction, exposure corrections, cropping, noise reduction, etc. If I'm working on a single photo to try and get it perfect it's done in photoshop all the way.

Original:
9111.jpg

I started in ACR (Lightroom) and added expsoure to the front of the car and the parking lot. Then I selected just the car, but did not include the background sky that can be seen through the windows in that selection. I saved that selection so I could invert it, and modify the inverted selection so neither the car nor the parking lot were part of that new selection. That made a selection of only the background, including the background sky we can see through the car windows.
I wound up with 7 layers andI used a couple of different layer blending modes.
Of course my edit is just one interpritation of many possible of your original .

9111.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back