A beach on the rocks

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So last night for New Years Eve, me, my husband and some friends traveled up north to a certain beach to celebrate and ring in the new year. Had a great time and got some photos. I know there a few here, so I understand if you can't CC all of them. Any CC on a few hit or misses would be appreciated. Thank you.

# 1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6615785023/http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6615785023/

Beach 4 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

Beach 3 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6615801109/

beach 2 by blackrose1981, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6615803851/

beach 1 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

DSCN0319 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like them. The last time I was at a beach was in 1994 when I went to Florida. #s 3-5 seem a touch lighter than the first two. Were they taken like this in a row or different times to do this? They are nice though.

I'm on my phone so I can't really cc photos but I wanted to say Happy new year and that it looks like a beautiful place. Makes me dream of summer! ;)

I'm on my phone so I can't really cc photos but I wanted to say Happy new year and that it looks like a beautiful place. Makes me dream of summer! ;)
Thank you. Well the photos made you dream of summer, so they cause some feeling. I'll take that as a step in the right direction lol.

Well, I see you played with the horizon a bit to experiment, and also tried to get different angles, which is good. I find #4 to be the best composition of the bunch and the last to be my least favorite.

With that being said, I find them to be a bit on the cool side which is just a personal dislike of mine, and I spent a while looking at all of them and found them to lack any real aspect that reached out to grab my attention.

I like the composition on #1 the best. Maybe if you just got a little lower. You're using a P&S right? Is there anyway you can control the stutter speed and aperture?

If you can slow down the shutter speed and stabilize the camera, with low ambient light, you'll get the silky looking water. It'll make the photo more interesting. You came close to the effect in #5.

I like the composition on #1 the best. Maybe if you just got a little lower. You're using a P&S right? Is there anyway you can control the stutter speed and aperture?

If you can slow down the shutter speed and stabilize the camera, with low ambient light, you'll get the silky looking water. It'll make the photo more interesting. You came close to the effect in #5.

Thank you. Yes I did come close! I was a little bit limited in the angles could shoot. I ended up having to be bare foot at the beach and underneath the sand was very sharp jagged rocks, so I had to be careful where I stepped didn't get try every angle possible. I'm going to try to go back more prepared. I'm using a Bridge camera.

I agree with Dom, #4 is the most pleasing composition for me. It flows well and the aspect ratio is suitable for the content. It's sharp and well exposed. Perhaps the WB is a bit blue, but I think it's also acceptable the way you have it.

I added some saturation to your sky and did some dodging around the rocks area so they have more visual weight. It's very subtle, but makes a big difference I think...

6626055737_3e5909b9ef_b.jpg

Over all a nice set. I liked pic #4 best of all because of the water movement in the foreground. It just made a much stronger presentation IMHO. 1 & 2 are under exposed once you compare them to 3 through 5. Then I saw the retouched photograph by Bazooka. I quickly changed my mind as to the best of the set. Bazooka, great work in post production.

Thanks Joel. It's a relatively low res file so I unintentionally created some rasterization near the horizon, but you get the idea.

Number 4 would make a very good print. How large is the file, MP wise?
I don't know much about bridge cameras. Is this shot in raw?

Most reactions

Back