-A big 'Hi' from India -

Navin.Dr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm Navin, 33/ m, a doctor by profession. A writer of songs and poems and music. And I thought that was where my creativity ended. Sure, I've taken a lot of pictures on smartphones much as the rest of the world, but the DSLR bug bit me when we docs were out on a trip to Yelagiri - a hillside retreat in the south of India and an anaesthetist colleague of mine thrust his canon 1100D in my hands. A few pics and a few clicks later, I would go on to become an addict. I scoured youtube videos, articles, blogs and read a lot on photography, went and got myself a Nikon d5200 with an 18-55mm kit lens. Then later acquired a 50mm nikkor prime lens. Started a whatsapp group called 'fotografia' and added about 20 people who had DSLR's and started sharing pics. All this was 2 months ago. Barring one or two, the whatsapp group is'nt very active. Not many critiques or technical inputs coming in. I was mistaken in my belief that every DSLR owner is a photography buff. So, as it seemed when my self-improvement in photography had hit a roadblock, I hit upon this idea of joining a photo-blog / forum, and here I am.

I have a whole bunch of pictures to upload and an agonizingly slow internet connection to boot - so help me y'all. What do I post, where do I post, and can I compress, to what extent, etc etc. I seem to veer a lot in my interests in photography. Some landscapes, some portraits, some macro work, etc etc. Still don't have a single focus in photography - maybe I never will.

Anyway, Here I am, hope to learn, contribute and progress.

Cheers.

DSC_0226.jpg
DSC_0228.jpg

Welcome!

Yes, you can compress, but I have found that if you simply resize a JPG to 1024 on a side, they will upload just fine.

As to what to upload, if you are seeking a critique, please attach only one photograph per thread. Give us a little background, such as; what (or who) it is, what you attempted to show, how you set up the shot, the lighting, and anything else that might help. If you send the photo with the EXIF intact, you don't need to give those details, but if the EXIF is stripped, then please include the main shooting parameters - focal length, aperture, shutter, and ISO.

Oh, yes; and not everyone who has a DLSR is a photo enthusiast, but a photo enthusiast will shoot with whatever he has.

Welcome again!

Welcome!

Yes, you can compress, but I have found that if you simply resize a JPG to 1024 on a side, they will upload just fine.

As to what to upload, if you are seeking a critique, please attach only one photograph per thread. Give us a little background, such as; what (or who) it is, what you attempted to show, how you set up the shot, the lighting, and anything else that might help. If you send the photo with the EXIF intact, you don't need to give those details, but if the EXIF is stripped, then please include the main shooting parameters - focal length, aperture, shutter, and ISO.

Oh, yes; and not everyone who has a DLSR is a photo enthusiast, but a photo enthusiast will shoot with whatever he has.

Welcome again!
Thank you for the warmth. A noob question, the exit data I'm aware is viewable on the camera LCD.I work on them in Lightroom and burn them as jpegs. Does the exif data come into the jpeg, or rather , how does one strip the exif data?

I think the EXIF data remains with the image until it is posted on certain sharing websites which strip the data automatically. You can do a test of this if you normally post photos in a sharing website by then trying to read the EXIF of an image that you have posted.

Welcome to the site!

EXIF data is included with the JPEG taken on the camera (or the RAW if you shoot in RAW mode) and remains attached to it even if you edit and save the photo. However Lightroom and many other software options, offer a compressed/save for web or other tickbox options that will typically reduce file size and strip EXIF data from the shot.

Typically the only data we really need is aperture, shutter speed and ISO, so we don't need masses of data (although if you look in my signature there are some tips on critique which suggests other forms of data suitable to be included).

As said resizing to 1000pixels on the longest side is typically enough for internet display - though anything from 720-1000 is suitable. If you want to show the image quality at fullsize you can do a100% crop which is where you keep the photo the same size (in editing) as the original and then crop a section out of it - that way you show the fullsize quality, but only of a smaller segment easier to upload.

You can upload photos direct to the forum gallery - or you can use free services like Flickr or Photobucket - both of which will auto-resize photos uploaded to them; however its generally best to resize photos yourself to the size you want to show, because rising loses sharpness so applying osme sharpening after resizing is important - internet services only apply a default value - if any at all - which is not suitable for every shot (some need more than others).

Welcome to the site!

EXIF data is included with the JPEG taken on the camera (or the RAW if you shoot in RAW mode) and remains attached to it even if you edit and save the photo. However Lightroom and many other software options, offer a compressed/save for web or other tickbox options that will typically reduce file size and strip EXIF data from the shot.

Typically the only data we really need is aperture, shutter speed and ISO, so we don't need masses of data (although if you look in my signature there are some tips on critique which suggests other forms of data suitable to be included).

As said resizing to 1000pixels on the longest side is typically enough for internet display - though anything from 720-1000 is suitable. If you want to show the image quality at fullsize you can do a100% crop which is where you keep the photo the same size (in editing) as the original and then crop a section out of it - that way you show the fullsize quality, but only of a smaller segment easier to upload.

You can upload photos direct to the forum gallery - or you can use free services like Flickr or Photobucket - both of which will auto-resize photos uploaded to them; however its generally best to resize photos yourself to the size you want to show, because rising loses sharpness so applying osme sharpening after resizing is important - internet services only apply a default value - if any at all - which is not suitable for every shot (some need more than others).
Thank you very much. I usually capture as RAW on my camera or jpeg fine quality if I'm doing HDRs. And my Lightroom renders RAW files into jpegs of 16 to 20 MB... Never ticked an option to remove exif data... I'll see if such an option is available the next time

If you resize them to 1000 pixels on the longest side you should lose a lot of that file size. Save for Web or other similar options is often used as a command term for removing much of the bloat (like EXIF) from a photo to make it smaller for web upload.

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back