A bit of an experiment(2 images)

chris82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shutterbugs.myfreeforum.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided to try this technique I saw in a magazine and Im pleased with the results for a first effort.Granted the flower is pretty blown out on the first shot and theres blutac on the discs in the second,Other than that what do you think?

stillabstract-1.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Ya those are pretty cool, what was your set up as far as the "scene" like what lighting and how did you make the background so black?

they look good, what was the technique , im curious.

The technique is...
First get a large mirror and an interesting glass/tumbler/vase.Get some blue tac and a led torch/mag light.

Then use the blue tac to stick the glass to the mirror at an angle(try to use as little blue tac as possable as you will be cloning it out later.)Set yor cam on a tripod,compose your shot and set the torch on facing the subject.(Raise the torch if need be with...I used an AA battery).

Next you need to set your apeture to f.22 and ISO to 100.You will need a cable release as this is a long exposure but If you use an SLR theres bound to be a timer on it which works just as well.Once you are ready turn out the lights and realise the shutter.This exposure will probably be around 25 - 30 seconds so stand back and dont touch the tripod/camera.

I would advise waiting untill night to try this as I did it at 3 in the afternoon.I blacked out my livingroom windows with black plastic bags and Im sure the neighbours thought I was cleaning up a murder scene.
icon_twisted.gif
LOL

Hope this helps...

The technique is...
First get a large mirror and an interesting glass/tumbler/vase.Get some blue tac and a led torch/mag light.

Then use the blue tac to stick the glass to the mirror at an angle(try to use as little blue tac as possable as you will be cloning it out later.)Set yor cam on a tripod,compose your shot and set the torch on facing the subject.(Raise the torch if need be with...I used an AA battery).

Next you need to set your apeture to f.22 and ISO to 100.You will need a cable release as this is a long exposure but If you use an SLR theres bound to be a timer on it which works just as well.Once you are ready turn out the lights and realise the shutter.This exposure will probably be around 25 - 30 seconds so stand back and dont touch the tripod/camera.

I would advise waiting untill night to try this as I did it at 3 in the afternoon.I blacked out my livingroom windows with black plastic bags and Im sure the neighbours thought I was cleaning up a murder scene.
icon_twisted.gif
LOL

Hope this helps...
Ya, I'll be using my 40d, so I can do 30 seconds, or bulb and go longer. Ya that's exactly what I wanted to know, Thanks!
My only questions is what is tac?

Ya, I'll be using my 40d, so I can do 30 seconds, or bulb and go longer. Ya that's exactly what I wanted to know, Thanks!
My only questions is what is tac?

Tac is stickey stuff that you might use to put posters on your wall.Look at the bottom of the CDs in the second shot and you will see 2 clumps of Blutac (as known here).You can pick it up anyware.Im not sure what they call in America.Goole it and you might get a better idea.Try to put the Tac on the back of the subject so as not to make the same mistake I have by showing it in the image.

P.S.If you go any longer than 30 secs the highlights will be blown out(over exposed)so try to stick to 25 - 30 seconds exposure.

Last edited:
Tac is stickey stuff that you might use to put posters on your wall.Look at the bottom of the CDs in the second shot and you will see 2 clumps of Blutac (as known here).You can pick it up anyware.Im not sure what they call in America.Goole it and you might get a better idea.Try to put the Tac on the back of the subject so as not to make the same mistake I have by showing it in the image.

P.S.If you go any longer than 30 secs the highlights will be blown out(over exposed)so try to stick to 25 - 30 seconds exposure.

OK, thanks alot, hopefully I will get a set setup like that sometime soon and I'll try some shots like that, I've never done any photography like this, so I'm excited to try it out!

I do like them!! Except for the shortcomings you mentioned already, the first one is my favourite, since it ... don't know it is more unsusual that the second.

And yes, most people on this planet have never seen blue tac ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back