A boy and his rat

rylos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Got up one morning, and the light through the back windows of the house was just screaming "portrait lighting". So I yelled at my 11-year-old son, Kaleb, to "Go get your rat!". Sat him by the window, with Licorice the rat climbing about on him. Took about a dozen shots, with this one being the last one on the roll. Right as the shutter snapped, they both moved, so it was a case of "Click. That's gonna be a GOOD one!". This is by far the best photo I've gotten of this pet, as well as the last one, as she died three days later (old age). By son loved her a lot as she was very snuggly with him, and was always wanting him to play with her. A week later he got an 8X12 of this for Christmas.

It ended up being not so much a portrait of my son, or a portrait of his pet, but a portrait of the connection they had between them.

Konica FT-1, handheld.

licky001small1pi.jpg

Definitely one of those natural "portrait lighting" occaisions. It's always nice to be able to shoot a white subject and not have it flood out either. I agree that it shows the friendship and bond between man and animal. You mention that it's not really a portrait of either but no matter what, it's at least a photographed memory of a time gone by to reflect on in the future.

It ended up being not so much a portrait of my son, or a portrait of his pet, but a portrait of the connection they had between them.

ahh thats sad, even if the picture was horrid it would still be a great picture because of that lil caption

Most reactions

New Topics

Back