A Call to Arms: STOP THE OVERMODERATION OF OUR THREADS!

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

With all due respect to the members of this forum and to the forum moderators, I am starting this thread to “call out” the TPF moderators for what I see as unnecessary closing of our threads and inconsistent application of the rules of this forum. Enough is enough already! You know who you are so please STOP IT. There are certainly other examples I could refer to, but if I am not being clear, I am referring to the following thread which was closed for no apparent reason:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/328112-wedding-conundrum-4.html#post2959317

I know there will be haters of this thread who will disagree with me because (1) they dislike me personally, even though they don’t know me, (2) they just wish to be disagreeable, (3) they just think I am flat out wrong and the moderation was called for, or (4) for any other reason. Fine, whatever. You are welcome to disagree with me. But at least hear me out.

We all come to this forum to share our interest in photography and our love for creativity. Through our active participation in this forum over the years, we have formed many solid connections with other members of this forum. I value those connections even if I do not personally know these people. The fact of the matter is that we are all adults, perhaps with differing political viewpoints and varying senses of humor, but we share a common interest: Photography.

What is funny to me may not be funny to somebody else, and that’s OKAY. If there is turmoil over a thread and things get out of hand, then I can agree with a moderator jumping in and putting the proverbial “kibosh” on the situation to prevent further elevation of the situation. Clearly, we can all agree that personal attacks against members of the forum, racist or derogatory commentary about an individual’s sexual preference or lifestyle, etc., should be dealt with quickly and convincingly. But “recreational banter” between forum members is what makes this a funny and exciting place to visit and to participate. It's what makes people return time and time again! Having said that, I challenge the moderators to tell me why this thread was closed and why we, as active participants in this forum, have to put up with that nonsense?!

If I am wrong and / or naive and there were hurt feelings about a silly thread, then I will accept that wholeheartedly and stand behind the decision made to close this thread. But at this point, I just refuse to believe that this is the case. This forum has certainly gained members over the years, but we have also lost a significant number of long-time, active, talented participants as a direct result of the recent change in how our threads are viewed and edited by those with the keys to the throne. I know that is true because I have either personally spoken with a number of them or have heard it through the grapevine by those who know them well. That is a shame and only weakens the benefits of visiting this website. I am not stupid -- I realize that these changes were done in a manner to make this a "more peaceful and friendly place" to visit. I just think at times it has gone overboard and that is what upsets me this morning.

Accordingly, I ask the moderators to please clarify the rules of this forum for the members so that we can avoid this type of response in future threads.

Thanks very much for reading. I welcome all comments on either side of the fence.

You know you can pm moderators when you want clarification on a specific moderators actions - we don't bite.

As for the thread, it was my view that the thread was simply re-hashing old ground. Weddings is a hot button topic and the thread itself was simply heading toward the same territories that we've seen time and time again. Already several regulars were already appearing to air their dissatisfaction with the current professional scene with regard to newbie wedding photographers.

The problem there is that when these threads get under way they gain an air of solidifying a general level of resentment toward "new professionals". This can often carry over into other threads where new pros (often new members as well) can often suddenly become the focus of that solidified and group resentment.

This was the reason I locked it - I couldn't see any good coming of the thread and much of the content were matters that had already been discussed between the active members fairly regularly.

You know you can pm moderators when you want clarification on a specific moderators actions - we don't bite.

I thought it was worthy of an open discussion for all to see. I believe that my post was fair and respectful.

Could you please clarify the "inconsistencies" of moderation you mentioned? a few examples would help.
did you contact the Mod that closed the thread in question before resorting to a public display? If so, what response did you receive?
which rules do you specifically need clarification on? have you checked the TPF FAQ?

* TPF staff cannot and do not review every single post, nor are we responsible for the content of any posted message. However, we reserve the right to edit, move, or delete any message whatsoever, which may be done with or without explanation.

* Should you disagree with a staff member's decision regarding one of your posts, please contact that staffer, or the site owners, privately. Publicly challenging a staff member may result in banning, regardless of who is deemed right. For example: a moderator closes your thread. Opening a new thread on the same topic or to insult or challenge the moderator may lead to your being banned.

I cant speak for that particular thread, but a LOT of threads have gotten way out of control lately and have had to be locked after some pretty nasty comments. its possible that this thread was viewed as likely to head that way and was locked as a preemptive strike, so to speak. again, if you have specific questions about it, PM the Mod in question and ask, or contact an Admin.

I thought it was worthy of an open discussion for all to see. I believe that my post was fair and respectful.

Aye and I'm not taking issue with that - just reminding that you can pm moderators and that we are nice people :) Sometimes you can send a pm during confusion and the matter can be resolved easily - doesn't mean that we are trying to hide things in the least.

That particular thread was moving along fine, in my opinion, and was really funny. In the past, threads have gotten closed because of escalating tensions, name calling, etc. There was certainly some personal "attacks" against Kat which were clearly meant to be funny and not serious. Everybody knew that too. When that thread was suddenly closed for no apparent reason, it appeared that it was closed because of those "attacks." I say that because I did not see another valid reason to close that thread. That is what I mean by inconsistent application of the forum rules.

Having been on the receiving end of closed threads I have to agree with the OP.

It's nice to have active topics that give the more active an seasoned members a place to have discussions related to the field. All too often it seems as if the perceived implications of the threads are much grander than they actually are.

Are we not able to carry on a discussion on a divisive topic without fear of totalitarian retaliation? Shall we just carry on posting about what lens and or camera to buy? Frankly I know that is where the income is generated but it is damn boring for those of us who enjoy a rousing palaver.

Do you think the OP would decompensate if we closed this thread? :lol:

I believe that my post was fair and respectful.

That's cool, as long as we forget about the dramatic title, the ALL CAPS rants and RED TEXT to make sure we all appreciate how annoyed you are. ;)

I think a PM to Overread would have gotten you the same response, but you seemed more interested in lobbing out some napalm.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It is survival of the fittest in the wedding world. Just because something has been hashed out a dozen times in the past, does not mean it is not relevant and important in the present. Times are changing and the forum needs to evolve with it. That thread was by no means out of control or really even heading in that direction. Hot button topics are going to keep this forum alive and allow everyone equal opportunity to voice their opinions.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It is survival of the fittest in the wedding world. Just because something has been hashed out a dozen times in the past, does not mean it is not relevant and important in the present. Times are changing and the forum needs to evolve with it. That thread was by no means out of control or really even heading in that direction. Hot button topics are going to keep this forum alive and allow everyone equal opportunity to voice their opinions.

Smart and gorgeous! :hug::

you seemed more interested in lobbing out some napalm.

No..not really. I just wanted to see what others thought of this issue. I find this a worthy discussion.

I find this a worthy discussion.

So it will be locked shortly...

I mean it really is an allegory to modern media. If it is at all divisive and may actually cause the viewing audience to have their own non consumer based thought it gets shut down.

Hot button topics are going to keep this forum alive and allow everyone equal opportunity to voice their opinions.

"hot button" topics are often areas of dissent and disagreement which is why they often spiral out of control - when they do its all lumped upon moderators to have to way in and try and sort things out. Honestly we HATE having topics that we have to keep a close eye upon or that we have to keep dipping in and out of to remove comments or administer warnings to keep things from falling apart.

We also dislike that we have to restrict discussion on certain topics to the subscribers section (topics such as politics, religion, heck we've even been forced to add guns to that segment).

As I said the thread in question was simply rehashing old ground between members; airing views that they've shared before commonly and whilst the thread wasn't as yet down the drain I had difficulty seeing where else it was going to head. Weddings is a hotbutton topic that often, if left untouched, will simply spiral down into a general hate thread - akin to how natural light photographer threads can often go as well.

Whilst I do respect that not everyone must like everyone else, I do expect that members of the community can retain a level of respect for each other and for different groups present.

That said we are not draconian in our moves - if members strongly feel that the thread in question was closed too pre-emptily and that it could continue along a positive line that wouldn't just spiral down into ranting/hate then by all means make the case for it. We can unlock things as well as lock them if given reason do to so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back