A colourful fly

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got this fly on a rose leaf this morning with the S5 & Raynox DCR-150 macro adapter. The fly is much smaller than a housefly. All shots hand held.

IMG_3340sm.jpg

IMG_3338sm.jpg

IMG_3336sm.jpg

Oh, wow, they're phenomenal. I can never, ever get my macro photographs to be so crisp, with the brilliant lighting (did you use flash, or was it taken in the sun?).

My only criticism would be that the photos seem to be very noisy, particularly in the background. Also, the eyes seem to be a little soft, but I think that's just because of the magnification/the resizing.

Great stuff!

Great job on these! I've seen this fly - about the size of a mosquito - and I've tried so many times to get a shot of them, with no success I might add. Very nice!

Very nice. The only thing I might have done is stopped down a little to get a slightly larger DOF.

Beyond that, awesome pics.

Oh, wow, they're phenomenal. I can never, ever get my macro photographs to be so crisp, with the brilliant lighting (did you use flash, or was it taken in the sun?).

My only criticism would be that the photos seem to be very noisy, particularly in the background. Also, the eyes seem to be a little soft, but I think that's just because of the magnification/the resizing.

Great stuff!

No flash, it was the bright morning sun. Yes, the S5 is bad for noise & over 200 ISO is useless so that is in part why I bought the G1.

Very nice. The only thing I might have done is stopped down a little to get a slightly larger DOF.

Beyond that, awesome pics.

Pics 2&3 were shot first @ f 5.6 to keep my shutter speed up as the fly was moving around & the wind was tossing the leaf it was on. I took a chance & stopped down to f 8 (minimum on the S5) for pic #1 with a shutter speed of 1/200. All shots @ ISO 100.

Those are nice long legged fly shots. I'd have to put a magnifying lens in front of my camera if I wanted to shoot one of those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back