What's new

A couple more images from Hecla Island

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went back to Hecla Island this Sunday for more long-exposure photos. These are my favourite images of the day.

1.
p496631616-4.jpg



2.
p662934123-4.jpg



3.
p269665887-4.jpg


Thanks for looking...
 
#1 works really well, but I would argue for removing that circular (pentagonal? hard to see) light spot in the right foreground and also the triangular object on the same rock. When people tell me to remove something, it's often something I considered essential to the composition, so if you feel that way about it, just ignore me.

#2 seems too centered on the apparent subject and somehow the foreground rocks don't seem to complement the more distant one. #3 seems unbalanced and possibly also tilted a little to the right.
 
I understand that these photos are taken from that perspective for a reason .. I love the pictures .. wouldn't change a thing , we can often over analyse, I think you said it yourself "I spend too much of my life on TPF!"
 
I really like #1
i agree #3 feels a tad unbalanced. Having tried to get that same sort of shot myself, its so hard with a strong shoreline and soft water. I see how you balanced it a bit with the foreground rock (very nice), but feels like it could use a bit more.
 
#1 works really well, but I would argue for removing that circular (pentagonal? hard to see) light spot in the right foreground and also the triangular object on the same rock. When people tell me to remove something, it's often something I considered essential to the composition, so if you feel that way about it, just ignore me.
Those items are not essential to the composition by any means, but don't really bother me.

#2 seems too centered on the apparent subject and somehow the foreground rocks don't seem to complement the more distant one.
The subject was centred on purpose, and the idea was to break the symmetry with the foreground diagonal. That being said, I think you make a good point regarding the foreground rocks not necessarily complementing the centred one.

#3 seems unbalanced and possibly also tilted a little to the right.
i agree #3 feels a tad unbalanced. Having tried to get that same sort of shot myself, its so hard with a strong shoreline and soft water. I see how you balanced it a bit with the foreground rock (very nice), but feels like it could use a bit more.
Number 3 is not tilted, but I can see why you guys feel that it's unbalanced. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks everybody for the kind words and constructive feedback, I appreciate them.
 
My fav. is #3! I love the way the rocks lead my eye through the picture. I think the rock (dark spot) in the upper right, it balances out the shot for me. Keep shooting babe!! I'm going to a lake over the weekend.....these have inspired me!! I hope I get some long exposures to share!! Maybe Emma will find a fun place to play......lol
 
My fav. is #3! I love the way the rocks lead my eye through the picture. I think the rock (dark spot) in the upper right, it balances out the shot for me.
I think that the dark spot helps balancing it out, but doesn't quite get the job done. If it was more than just a dark spot (i.e., a visible rock), then I think I'd agree :)

I'm going to a lake over the weekend.....these have inspired me!! I hope I get some long exposures to share!! Maybe Emma will find a fun place to play......lol
How far north are you willing to drive to find a lake? I'm going back to this island this weekend, maybe we could meet up with you and Emma ;)
 
HAHA....north for me is just 2 hours....staying w/ some friends.....lol I would love to meet up someday though!!! Someday it will happen!! Drinking and shooting is what I have in mind!! Emma is taking the trip so we will see if she is feeling photogenic!

Yes....dark spot would be better if it was more pronounced. It still think the horizon line adds to the balance, so it doesn't bother me. The rock and the horizon is tag teaming the rocks on the bottom left....lol I feel like I'm watching wrestling.
 
Thanks, guys. I'm going back to this island today in an effort to bore everyone with more of this type of photos.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom