A couple of shots from Jones Beach

Bueller, Bueller? 88 views and nobody has a single comment?

#1 is too tight for the scene, color is drab and there's too much forground for my taste...
#2 I like the color, the crop is still too tight and slightly too much forground (75% of the scene) but i do get a sense of the loney beach...
#3 Is my fav, the best of this set, bump up contrast a little ;)

#1 is too tight for the scene, color is drab and there's too much forground for my taste...
#2 I like the color, the crop is still too tight and slightly too much forground (75% of the scene) but i do get a sense of the loney beach...
#3 Is my fav, the best of this set, bump up contrast a little ;)

Thanks Trev. I'll try the wider crop on 1 & 2 Contrast or black point on 3?
Here it is with the contrast bumped a little:

bumped contrast by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

Last edited:
#3 is excellent ...
#2 instead of its large space of sand bank creates a nice feeling; we cannot always go by rule, i think :D
#1: If somebody were entering the frame near to the ocean from rightside, this would have been a fine shot... as such it does not have the same charm as playing in #2

Regards :D

#3 is excellent ...
#2 instead of its large space of sand bank creates a nice feeling; we cannot always go by rule, i think :D
#1: If somebody were entering the frame near to the ocean from rightside, this would have been a fine shot... as such it does not have the same charm as playing in #2

Regards :D

Thanks Frequency, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about #2, and is this what you meant about number 1?

DSC02608 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

About#2: Usually too much of empty space in an image is considered as negative space, since it adds nothing to this image... here i feel some positivity in the space ... the vastness has something to say here... that is why i said sometimes rules have to be ignored....

About #1: your new addition is lovley. Yet i prefer one without those rails in between...because the fence take away the focusing on the people.... I liked this too :D

Yes, better except for the heavy vignette...but I like the wider view, yes. :thumbup:

Thanks Trever and Frequency. These comments are really helpful.

As a small kid we used to come here to swim...like 100 years ago. I remember the beach being wall to wall crowded.

As a small kid we used to come here to swim...like 100 years ago. I remember the beach being wall to wall crowded.

Wasn't quite a hundred but early sixties for sure. I have some great memories of concerts at the theater. I actually like the wide sand shot except a would have liked to see a little more focus.

Yup, mid to late 60's. There and Coney Island for rides and dogs...wow, it feels like 100 years ago.

I was a spoiled suffolk county kid. No Jones beach for us! We would go to Fire Island and think we were better then all those "city kids", LOL. Jones beach is really beautiful, although I don't go very often. Summer is just a zoo there.

Nice to see another New Yorker posting pictures. I live in Suffolk county, so we frequented Robert Moses and Cedar beach instead.

Pictures #1 & 2 have way too much foreground beach that have no real subject matter to hold our interest. Just flat lifeless sand. As Fequency said, less in this case would make a better composition. Picture #2, has no real subject, and just doesn't hold my interest. Picture #3 in B&W is by far the best of your set. The wood fences has great texture and tone value. It leds your eye from foreground right through the entire picture. And the beach sand instead of being lifeless and boring, is covered in scrub brush and rocks. Again, more interest for our eyes to take in.

Honestly, to me pictures 1 & 2 are basically what I call snapshots. Picture # 3 is a well thought out photograph.

Most reactions

Back