What's new

A couple of shots from Jones Beach

Nice to see another New Yorker posting pictures. I live in Suffolk county, so we frequented Robert Moses and Cedar beach instead.

Pictures #1 & 2 have way too much foreground beach that have no real subject matter to hold our interest. Just flat lifeless sand. As Fequency said, less in this case would make a better composition. Picture #2, has no real subject, and just doesn't hold my interest. Picture #3 in B&W is by far the best of your set. The wood fences has great texture and tone value. It leds your eye from foreground right through the entire picture. And the beach sand instead of being lifeless and boring, is covered in scrub brush and rocks. Again, more interest for our eyes to take in.

Honestly, to me pictures 1 & 2 are basically what I call snapshots. Picture # 3 is a well thought out photograph.

Hi Joel, thanks for the comments. I was attempting to create my version of the worlds most expensive photograph, by Andreas Gursky, called Rhein II

List of most expensive photographs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While my photo is at the beach and not looking across a river I was hoping to mimic the feel of Rhein II. Within that context, how did I do?:thumbup: or:thumbdown:
 
Nice to see another New Yorker posting pictures. I live in Suffolk county, so we frequented Robert Moses and Cedar beach instead.

Pictures #1 & 2 have way too much foreground beach that have no real subject matter to hold our interest. Just flat lifeless sand. As Fequency said, less in this case would make a better composition. Picture #2, has no real subject, and just doesn't hold my interest. Picture #3 in B&W is by far the best of your set. The wood fences has great texture and tone value. It leds your eye from foreground right through the entire picture. And the beach sand instead of being lifeless and boring, is covered in scrub brush and rocks. Again, more interest for our eyes to take in.

Honestly, to me pictures 1 & 2 are basically what I call snapshots. Picture # 3 is a well thought out photograph.


Hi Joel, thanks for the comments. I was attempting to create my version of the worlds most expensive photograph, by Andreas Gursky, called Rhein II

List of most expensive photographs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While my photo is at the beach and not looking across a river I was hoping to mimic the feel of Rhein II. Within that context, how did I do?:thumbup: or:thumbdown:

I've seen Gursky's photograph before, I didn't think much of it then, and I still don't. I don't find anything interesting in his subject presentation, his composition, nor his basically flat lighting. Exactly what is it that you like about the photograph? Personally, I've seen way better right here on TPF.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom