A couple of waterfalls

Civchic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im new at this myself and trying to learn. I really like 3 & 4, although water looks a little over exposed. Maybe using the "exposure bracketing" setting could have helped you end up with a better shot.

I get vertigo just looking at the first one. I like your exposures, but I think a little more saturation might not go amiss.

Thanks for the tips - I was lucky to be able to do even the slight long exposure at Tiffany's Falls (the last two) because it was cloudy and dim in the woods. I don't have any filters (on the list!) so the next day in bright sun I was out of luck at Tew's Falls. I will punch the saturation a bit and see how that looks - my laptop always seems to be oversaturated so I sometimes back off more than I should, I think.

Tripod, long exposure, neutral density filter and you're spot on with a long exposure for falling water even in daylight on a sunny day. This photo of Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Basin was shot around noon on a mostly sunny day.

$Multnomah Falls-2.jpg

I reduced the brightness just a little so the rock face wasn't as bright.

This next shot was of running waters off of Vernal Falls in Yosemite on a bright summer day (August at about 1pm on a clear day--almost no clouds in the sky). Long exposure, neutral density filter and judicious cropping to try and minimize the glare/hot spots off of some of the rocks.

$Vernal Falls-Yosemite.jpg

Now, both of these photos could use some editing. But they're an example of what you can do with a neutral density filter.

I really like the falls/bridge scene, but the timed exposure allows for blurry spectators. I guess it would be hard to take two photos and get the exposures close enough to blend them. Great shot even with the issue. The other one is also very nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back