A DOE A DEER A FEMALE DEER!

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay after all the hunting shows I have seen i am PRETTY sure these are doe
So, im on vacation in p.a and my moms friend told me there was deer outside
When I slowly pushed open the front door, right there in front of us stood 7 deer!
I have never seen a deer in person, so I was pretty shocked, I ran inside, and snatched up my camera, and startedsnaping away
(My mom threw them bread to keep them interested )
Here they are for C&C!
2da0dbk.jpg

302xa11.jpg

2585i7o.jpg

2pr89og.jpg

(These next two arent really good, you dont need to C&C i just thought they were really cool, but lacked quality)
ve2mbk.jpg

(The other pictures arent uploading right now so I will when I get a chance)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Fix you white balance... they all appear to have the blues...

#3 is my fav... I did a quick edit in Gimp... Adjusted the white balance... Cloned out the object in the upper left corner of the frame and threw a little sharpening at it...

2585i7o.jpg

Fix you white balance... they all appear to have the blues...

#3 is my fav... I did a quick edit in Gimp... Adjusted the white balance... Cloned out the object in the upper left corner of the frame and threw a little sharpening at it...

2585i7o.jpg
Wow that looks alot! better
I thought they were a bit dark as well,
White balance I had set to auto, i guess i should take that more into consideration next time haha
I need to start figuring out gimp more
Thanks! : )

Also wanted to show some other shots, since I havent been on lately
35b7aqc.jpg

2euuasw.jpg

There is something about this shot^ I dont know what it is, but I really like it
Thanks again, sorry im posting so many pictures
.....:hugs:

Oh sorry just one more question
When you do black and white on gimp?
Do you go into colorize and change the saturation and lightness?
Or is there a better way of doing this?
Thanks a million!: )

Thee deer shots are like 2 stops underexposed. All of the white snow has a tendency to throw off the metering of the camera. To combat this, you could shoot in manual, spot meter on the animal, or set exposure compensation to a stop or 1.5 stops on the + side.

BdZQo.jpg

Thee deer shots are like 2 stops underexposed. All of the white snow has a tendency to throw off the metering of the camera. To combat this, you could shoot in manual, spot meter on the animal, or set exposure compensation to a stop or 1.5 stops on the + side.

BdZQo.jpg
Thanks!
I keep having a hard time getting the exposure right
Im pretty sure my shutter speed was around 1/160
Thanks again for your comments : )

There are 2 main ways....

First go to Image -> Mode -> Greyscale....

or

Go to Colors -> Desaturate (there are three options here... select the one you like best.

I generally use the Image-mode-greyscale method... I like the result better in most circumstances...

You may need/want to adjust the brightness/contrast of the image after converting it...

There are 2 main ways....

First go to Image -> Mode -> Greyscale....

or

Go to Colors -> Desaturate (there are three options here... select the one you like best.

I generally use the Image-mode-greyscale method... I like the result better in most circumstances...

You may need/want to adjust the brightness/contrast of the image after converting it...
Oh yeah haha, that makes sense now that i think about it
Just change the saturation and and lightness after converting it to greyscale
Thanks! :)

they look out of focus and also the snow isnt white enough

Okay after all the hunting shows I have seen i am PRETTY sure these are doe

I'm pretty sure #2 is a button buck.... the flat head is the give away. Does have a rounder head, the flat head is where the antlers will grow up. The only reason I'm hesitant to say for sure is because button bucks tend to get tossed out of the herd before the rut .... though rut is over now, so its entirely possible its rejoined the herd.

They all look like yearlings, probably born last spring.

It would be easier to tell for sure if there were pictures of the whole body.

Here's my go on #1. I adjusted some levels to brighten it up, it was underexposed pretty bad. Also the other deer in the back was distracting, I may give #2 a go latter.
5390555450_825072f147_z.jpg

Here's my go on #1. I adjusted some levels to brighten it up, it was underexposed pretty bad. Also the other deer in the back was distracting, I may give #2 a go latter.
5390555450_825072f147_z.jpg
Wow that looks much better!
I wasnt thinking to clear and was just taking pictures,
But, my moms friend said they are here everyday so I hope to see them again today, and give it another shot, maybe improve, I made a big mistake on these
Thanks! :)

I keep having a hard time getting the exposure right
Im pretty sure my shutter speed was around 1/160
Thanks again for your comments : )

I only checked your first image and your settings were:

1/250 seconds, f5.6, 400 iso, 250mm focal length, manual exposure, no flash.

I don't know if 5.6 is the maximum apperture for your lens at this focal length, if it is then you would have needed to use a shutter speed of 1/125 or even a bit less. Hard to do handheld at 250mm, alternatively is use of flash (which might have spooked the critters) or pushed you iso to 800 or 1200. Not sure how your Canon Rebel XS behaves at higher iso.

Most reactions

Back