A DOE A DEER A FEMALE DEER!

They all have potential, but they are all underexposed.

Regards,
Jake

It's already been said, the originals are underexposed, that's a typical issue with snow-pictures, since cameras assume a greytone average measurement. Easiest fix is to counter-act the automatics by 1 - 2 stops on the + side, that will typically allow you to use the automatic program and still get decent shots. If you point-measure on the deer you're probably going to get overexpose snow, which isn't really much better than underexposed snow. I have a couple of extra notes on winter shooting on my blog.

I keep having a hard time getting the exposure right
Im pretty sure my shutter speed was around 1/160
Thanks again for your comments : )

I only checked your first image and your settings were:

1/250 seconds, f5.6, 400 iso, 250mm focal length, manual exposure, no flash.

I don't know if 5.6 is the maximum apperture for your lens at this focal length, if it is then you would have needed to use a shutter speed of 1/125 or even a bit less. Hard to do handheld at 250mm, alternatively is use of flash (which might have spooked the critters) or pushed you iso to 800 or 1200. Not sure how your Canon Rebel XS behaves at higher iso.
When I get another chance, ill use the flash, they were not startled at all, they were comming right up in front of us, and my moms friend was using the flash on her phone
I think these deer are used to people feeding them, so they dont get spooked so easy
Hope I get another chance!
Thanks so much!

30ngoll.jpg

I gave brightness enhancement a shot before on gimp
I feel like mine is lacking the really more professional look you guys get when you edit
Am i doing something wrong?
I go into gimp go to Colors>Brightness/Contrast
Than i just mess around with the brightness
Soon luckily!
I will be getting photoshop from my moms friend who dosent use it anymore
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

OH and patrice
I know i must be a pain with all of these questions
But how do you figure out the settings of a picture ?(Thats probably such a stupid question, im sorry, haha)
Thanks!

No problem at all Anthony. No need for 'sorry'. No well intentioned question is ever 'stupid'.

I use a program called an 'exif reader'. Many are free and are of varying flavors. Some work as stand alone, as mine does, and others are plugins for your browser.

Do a google search or go to a site like tucows.

The exif data is a secondary file attached to jpeg and raw files coming from your camera. Depending how you save your edits the exif might be kept or stripped off. Yours were still attached.

edit: exif files contain exposure and camera information.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back