What's new

A dog :)

swiftparkour94

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 14, 2012
Messages
632
Reaction score
16
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From a walkabout. It was severely under exposed, mistakenly forgot to lower the f-stop. Fixed what I could of it. What do you think of it though? I was fond of the composition and overall simplistic feeling to it....I think it's the eyes lol. CC appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • $image-1301073576.webp
    $image-1301073576.webp
    163.6 KB · Views: 113
You fixed it OK. Doesn't look too much like underexposed.Composition is good, background of the dog is too busy, especially behind torso and the head.
 
looks a bit soft, background is really busy, dog is too small in the frame with a bush behind that helps to further muddy things up. you're shooting from a normal, standing view, which is boring.

Use of the diagonal is good though, as it somewhat points to the subject.
 
It is muddy, slightly oof, the background is so busy that it draws the eye and the composition does nothing to make it interesting.
As it is, it's a picture of a dog.
 
poor dog. tied to a tree. all alone.
 
fjrabon - I agree. I've heard that photo contest judges only look at the photos that catch their eye as a thumbnail!
 
fjrabon said:
looks a bit soft, background is really busy, dog is too small in the frame with a bush behind that helps to further muddy things up. you're shooting from a normal, standing view, which is boring.

Use of the diagonal is good though, as it somewhat points to the subject.

Yea I tried my best to keep it from being muddy. Couldn't do much about the background, it was a straight shot at getting this dog in frame in an interesting way from the public sidewalk I was on. The dog was apparently there as a watch dog over a small auto business and I didn't want to take a step on the property. Those leaves really pissed me off lol, I hated how it camouflages the dog. I wasn't standing, I was crouched as far as my back and neck would let me go. I'm a tall person so when I crouch I'm probably the equivalent of an average short person haha, plus there was a slight incline on the pavement.

Just another one of those keepers I tried to revive because it seemed interesting. Thanks for the CC, I an currently trying to fix the muddiness issues I've been having lately :)
 
thetrue said:
fjrabon - I agree. I've heard that photo contest judges only look at the photos that catch their eye as a thumbnail!

I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)
 
swiftparkour94 said:
Yea I tried my best to keep it from being muddy. Couldn't do much about the background, it was a straight shot at getting this dog in frame in an interesting way from the public sidewalk I was on. The dog was apparently there as a watch dog over a small auto business and I didn't want to take a step on the property. Those leaves really pissed me off lol, I hated how it camouflages the dog. I wasn't standing, I was crouched as far as my back and neck would let me go. I'm a tall person so when I crouch I'm probably the equivalent of an average short person haha, plus there was a slight incline on the pavement.

Just another one of those keepers I tried to revive because it seemed interesting. Thanks for the CC, I an currently trying to fix the muddiness issues I've been having lately :)

Some photos don't work for a B&W conversion. This is one of them.

I would have walked to your left and shot the photo for better background separation and negating the business of the trees.

Btw, are you about five feet tall when you're crouched?
 
o hey tyler said:
Some photos don't work for a B&W conversion. This is one of them.

I would have walked to your left and shot the photo for better background separation and negating the business of the trees.

Btw, are you about five feet tall when you're crouched?

Yea, maybe I should have tried different angles. If I see the dog next time there again then I might as well try. I've never had a problem like this with b&w but now that I have I know what to better look for next time I shoot.

As for my crouched height, I don't know because I haven't measured.

Thanks :)
 
you could try messing with the RGB sliders on the B&W conversion, to get some tonal separation between the dog and the leaves, assuming they weren't the same color.
 
not saying this is right, but I convert to B&W mainly in three scenarios:

1) color distracts. ie there are some bright distracting elements in parts of the picture that are unimportant. This is why the majority of street shots are B&W

2) I want to hide some noise. I had to shoot with a really high ISO for some reason. Noise in a B&W looks not quite as bad as noise in color.

3) I want to really push the contrast. B&W can take a lot more contrast than color can.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom